Thinking of buying a Sager

mitchmiller

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hey everyone, I've been looking online for a new gaming laptop for a while now and I'm liking the sager Sager NP8295 / Clevo P177SM (http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np8290.html).

17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with MATTE Surface
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 Memory
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Genuine Microsoft Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB
750GB Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 8GB SSD
6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
8 cells smart Lithium-Ion battery pack 76.96Wh
Integrated Fingerprint Reader

Overall: $2,079.00

First off, are those specs good for a new gaming laptop? My budget is around $2000, I want to be able to play new games on max settings.

I was also looking at other models and can anyone tell me specifically what the difference between the sager models is? For example the difference between the Sager NP9380 / Clevo P370SM and the Sager NP8295 / Clevo P177SM. Is it worth the price difference or are specs the only thing that matter?

Wanted to see what some of the experts on this site think. Ive been lurking for a while reading other posts about gaming laptops and found that this site has some amazingly knowledgeable minds. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
Yes, those specs are great! I would advise on a SSD over the Seagate Momentus drive. Still, the hybrid drives add a nice boost in performance and small reduction in power consumption v.s. mechanical drives.

The differences between the two models you mentioned are: The NP9380 has more headroom for upgrades, such as support for dual GPUs. It also has a different chassis design (the NP8295 has more gamer aesthetics, while the NP9380 has more of a business class look) with some different I/O ports. The NP9380 is also bigger and heavier.

Hopefully that gets you on the right track!
Yes, those specs are great! I would advise on a SSD over the Seagate Momentus drive. Still, the hybrid drives add a nice boost in performance and small reduction in power consumption v.s. mechanical drives.

The differences between the two models you mentioned are: The NP9380 has more headroom for upgrades, such as support for dual GPUs. It also has a different chassis design (the NP8295 has more gamer aesthetics, while the NP9380 has more of a business class look) with some different I/O ports. The NP9380 is also bigger and heavier.

Hopefully that gets you on the right track!

Solution

mitchmiller

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, it definitely helps. Looking at more of the models I'm thinking I'm gonna get the Sager NP9390 / Clevo P375SM instead of the NP8295. You mentioned getting an SSD, are there any in particular you would suggest? I see the prices, I'm sure they would make you believe more expensive is better but is that actually the case? Looking at the options which of these would you suggest?

Crucial® M500 120GB SATA III SSD $85.00
750GB Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 8GB SSD $90.00
120GB Intel® 520 Series SATA 6.0GB/s SSD $110.00
Crucial® M500 240GB SATA III SSD $160.00
Samsung® 256GB SSD 840 PRO Series $195.00

I was hoping to stay closer to $2000, but if any of the SSDs would be a better option Im hoping to figure out the optimal thing to get based on their prices. I've read that a 120gb SSD is plenty, would you agree with that?

Hey, no problem. :)

Yeah, a SSD will make a pretty big difference (you can look at comparison videos on YouTube of boot times). The Intel drives and Samsung drives are the most stable, with Intel being slightly more stable but also not quite as fast as Samsung. Bang for buck, I would recommend the Samsung you listed, since you get more storage capacity (trust me, it fills up quick).

What many do is purchase a 120 GB - 256 GB SSD, then a large HDD. They install all their programs on the SSD and put data on the HDD.

The Crucial drives are a good value, but the M500 hasn't been available for long, so I don't know if it has many quirks yet; I will say it's predecessor ─ the Crucial M4 ─ certainly had some issues though.

It's hard for me to say how much capacity will be adequate for you, simply because it's one of those "to each their own" things. I'd say 120 GB should be the bare minimum for the vast majority of people, in any case. :)

mitchmiller

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Thank you both for responding, is there any reason you would recommend the NP8295? Based on what Prostar said(please correct me if I'm wrong) it sounds like the 9390 and the like have more room for upgrades in case I want to add more to it someday down the road? For the same specs I'd be paying around $200 more but it would have more potential for upgrades?

Sorry if I seem clueless haha, but I'm new to all this, my first pc in a long time. I'm excited to get this, but I also don't want to jump the gun and wind up unhappy with it.

alicepattinson

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

you really are a pro, you are willing to buy a $2,079.00 laptop. That's really amazing. If I can only afford, why not?! hahaha

@byogaming - what you say is probably true in a lot of circumstances; I've found buying direct is often cheaper than going through a merchant (take the Lenovo Y series, for example). With resellers and their sales/promotions, it's more hearsay. :)

For OP's sake:

Sager NP8295
Amazon's price: $1919 + $10.49 ground shipping

XoticPC's price: $1779 w/ free ground shipping.

That's assuming I have the specs parallel.