Thinking of buying Sony STR-DN860 - question about speakers

tom7792

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Heya, so some years ago I bought Sony DAV-DZ340 for my room, simply to have speakers to watch movies with and PS4 and PC and everything.. only problem is is how horrible it's connectivity is, basically every device I have is connected to my TV and is also connected to a SPIDF/Optical extender that connects to the Sony device, I have to manually switch the input whenever I want to use another device alongside switchintg TV channel, which is practically aids, in my honest opinion.

So, I've decided to upgrade and buy the STR-DN860, even though its a 7.2 reciever (I have the average 5.1 speakers that came with the DAV-DZ340), it's connectivity and integretivity feels like a good fit for me, specially considering that I'm more after connectivity and multi-tasking and streaming and casting and music etc rather than extreme quality theatre-like surround sound.

TL;DR:
What I'm not sure about is how to connect the speakers to the new reciever, I havn't bought it yet, I just want to be sure that I can easily connect the speakers and if not, what will it take to make it work.. I'm not exactly sure what the plug on the speaker is.. The cable is connected to the speaker and is split into 2 wires while each goes to a different slot (2 slots 1 coloured 1 isnt) and the other side connects to the system with sort of a round plug that attaches the 2 wires together.
If I had to guess, I'm gonna have to cut it off, then use some banana plug to connect it to the new reciever..

Anny help will be greatly appreciated to understand this thoroughly, thanks!

edit: this is the plug
$(KGrHqZ,!i!E8YMCBQq2BPKeTFbpow~~60_1.JPG

Solution
You are going to have to cut off the connectors at the receiver end on the speaker wire. Check if there is a marking on the wire to indicate which is the positive wire. That would connect to the red terminal on the receiver.
If there is no mark then you can momentarily connect a AA battery to the two wires. If the plus of the battery is connected to the plus wire the woofer will move out rather than in.
If you can't ID the plus lead then at least be consistent for all the speakers in which wire you make plus and minus.
You will not be able to use the passive woofer that came with the Sony unless you add a additional amp to drive it. HTS system put the amp for the sub in the main unit. HT receivers assume you will use a self powered...
You are going to have to cut off the connectors at the receiver end on the speaker wire. Check if there is a marking on the wire to indicate which is the positive wire. That would connect to the red terminal on the receiver.
If there is no mark then you can momentarily connect a AA battery to the two wires. If the plus of the battery is connected to the plus wire the woofer will move out rather than in.
If you can't ID the plus lead then at least be consistent for all the speakers in which wire you make plus and minus.
You will not be able to use the passive woofer that came with the Sony unless you add a additional amp to drive it. HTS system put the amp for the sub in the main unit. HT receivers assume you will use a self powered subwoofer. Getting a new powered sub will be better if you can.

Solution