Solved! ThinkiNG Of Going HD

xJACKTHERIPPERx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I know, it's hard to believe that there are still some of us who aren't gaming on an HDTV. But I've been looking and researching on whether to go plasma or LCD for my 360. From what I've been reading, nowadays it seems like its mostly down to personal preference. I've been hearing things about how the refresh rates on LCD tvs can cause lag in games, or make it so you have to turn down your sensitivity because things seem to move faster or something. But plasmas show refresh rates of around 600hz sub-field drive, so wouldn't this cause the same problem on a plasma? It seems as though I've started to ramble, so basically for TLDR:

is there much of a difference for plasma vs LCD, and should i get a 1080p? I'm looking for around a 42" and I sit about 5-6 feet away, and I'll be using it for a good amount of time most days.

Solution
The 600hz sub drive is not the same spec as refresh rate but Panasonic and other plasma makers found that number for advertising purposes. Plasma is as fast as CRT so in terms of response speed there is no comparison. That's why for 3D plasma is the best way to go. The only issue is burn-in. Any gamers out there should respond to that. Otherwise a 42" plasma will cost you less, produce blacks at least as good as top of the line LED lit LCD screens, and not burn your eyes out with an over bright improperly calibrated picture.
The 600hz sub drive is not the same spec as refresh rate but Panasonic and other plasma makers found that number for advertising purposes. Plasma is as fast as CRT so in terms of response speed there is no comparison. That's why for 3D plasma is the best way to go. The only issue is burn-in. Any gamers out there should respond to that. Otherwise a 42" plasma will cost you less, produce blacks at least as good as top of the line LED lit LCD screens, and not burn your eyes out with an over bright improperly calibrated picture.

Solution

xJACKTHERIPPERx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
well from what ive heard burn in is basically a thing of the past, as long as you break it in properly over the first 100-200 hours. so if im looking for an HDTV for mostly gaming should i probly go with a plasma? if so what are good brands of plasmas to get? ive heard that Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung are all pretty good to go with