This $99 gaming gadget is keeping my PlayStation Vita 2 dreams alive

May 29, 2023
The problem is that this has an XBox-style or Switch-style layout with the analog joysticks being diagonal or offset. I just can't seem to find a phone clip-on device of this type that has the joysticks side-by-side on the bottom, PlayStation-style.

Obviously there are plenty of Xbox and Switch gamers and it makes sense to cater to that market to make and sell things laid out in that style.

But there are lots of PlayStation gamers too. Five generations of the living room console, plus the Vita. Plus some other odds and ends from Sony and others that also use this layout.

So why are smartphone controller add-ons in PlayStation-style layout not just much rarer than XBox/Switch-style but in fact all but impossible to find?

Reactions: hush404

hush404

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
That's actually a good point. You'd think backbone would have thought about that when making a PlayStation branded version of their controller. Huh.
I grew up with the PS systems and prefer the sticks together, but can easily play with something where they're offset. Thus this decision doesn't cause me a big issue but it's still an interesting design choice.