"This application was unable to start correctly (0xc000012)" Anything I try to open gives me this error. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansishihi

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
So, I turned on my PC today, and it gave me this error "This application was unable to start correctly (0xc000012). Click OK to close this application." And now, starting from mp3 songs to chrome and games, anything I open gives me this error. As well as that, the font on my desktop has changed as well, also, if I click the windows key, it doesn't even allow me to use the search bar. Some programs cant be uninstalled. I've tried restarting my PC multiple times.

Solution

If it says that to the System Administrator, there must be a problem. Try Command again and type
chkdsk /r
Hit Enter and the Checkdisk utility will run and with the /r switch migh be able to fix any disk errors it finds.

If it does report errors, it could be worth trying the SFC again in case it landed on a bad sector.
If you can press the Windows key and R together, you have a fighting chance. That should bring up the Command form. At the prompt, type
net user Administrator /active:yes
then hit the Enter key.

If it says you need administrator permissions to do that, , go to c:\windows\system32 and right click the file cmd.exe and select RunAs Administrator. Then type the above.

One way or the other, it should say the command was successful. When it down, close the form and click the Start square the on Sign Out. The next screen will show your login and the Administrator's one. There's no password so just click on that one.

You can work in there without harming your own data so open another Command form and this time, type
sfc /scannow
and hit Enter. That runs the System File Checker at Administrator level which may take over an hour but it should find and fix any missing or corrupt system files.

If it says that to the System Administrator, there must be a problem. Try Command again and type
chkdsk /r
Hit Enter and the Checkdisk utility will run and with the /r switch migh be able to fix any disk errors it finds.

If it does report errors, it could be worth trying the SFC again in case it landed on a bad sector.

Solution
Sep 15, 2018

Well done, arpithappu444, you just gave another obvious answer to an eighteen month old thread. We try to fix things around here not to have open a laptop to remove the hard disk then connect it to another PC with a special cable.

In future, please only contribute to threads which have a recent post less than a month back.

This thread is closing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.