News This iPhone 13 rumor made me upgrade to the iPhone 12

Harry Devlin

Prominent
Jul 1, 2020
Highly unlikely that the Lightning port would disappear and not at least be replaced by a USB-C port. As another commenter noted, for CarPlay you often need to use a cable (ditto for Android Auto on Android phones). There are a lot of other usage models that also still benefit from having a physical interface port. Also, using the phone during wireless charging is not easy.

It is true that there could be accessories that have a wireless charging coil and a USB-C plug. In fact the opposite accessory, a case with a Lightning plug and charging coil is available for older iPhones that lack wireless charging. But that would not solve the CarPlay issue.

The iPhone 13 is likely to have significant, highly desirable, new features, including an under-screen fingerprint reader, 120 Hz display, much better cameras, reverse wireless charging, vapor chamber cooling, and a much smaller notch, all of which have already been deployed on flagship Android phones. All at a time when Samsung has begun to decontent their Galaxy S line, removing some of the features that made it stand out from the iPhone (MicroSD card slot and Magnetic Secure Technology with Samsung Pay).

We also don't know what kind of deal Apple has with Qualcomm regarding 5G modems. Could be that the A15 Bionic follows the example of the Snapdragon 888 and integrates the Qualcomm X60 5G modem, saving space inside the phone and allowing for a larger battery.

Apple may have removed a lot of useful features in the past, but removing the only remaining port would be a step too far.

And of course, if the iPhone 13 did remove the Lightning port, the original author could buy an iPhone 12 at that time, and it would be even cheaper.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021
The reason they are doing this is because the coalition of nations are wanting to have a single universal port so that there is indeed less waste. My personal thoughts are that usb-c and well all of them are poorly designed.... You have a male plug with a female hole that plugs into a female hole with a male plug inside that.. OMG who thought of such a design.... Now lightning is the way to go.... Male into female..... My lady's iPhone charges on a 1amp 5v charger just as fast as my 60w 6 amp(or whatever it is) warp charging oneplus 7T.

Apple should simply convince the USB-ers to switch to lightning and then sell the parts and collect royalties. Because let's face it, the under water camera feature isnt really that much of one at all... They have cases for that besides once the warranty claims start coming in theyll be either replacing a bunch of phones or making excuses on not to....because let's be real, there is a lot of movement and pressure from people carrying their phones in there backpockets and it's bound to loosen up somewhere(IPhone 7 bending..... )