This iPhone 4S Mod Lets You Charge Your Phone Wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Like the average Apple buyer is going to have any clue how to do that. They have a hard enough time turning on the device.[/citation]

It's quite obviously not something for the average user. I doubt that the average Droid/WP/whatever user could do something like this either.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Actually Michael Faraday is credited with discovering induction in 1831.....but regardless, hooray for magnetic induction! Took long enough for it to reach more consumer products besides electric toothbrushes and inductive cooking (in terms of power transfer...yes I know all motors and generators use induction).
I'm still waiting for someone to invent a way to turn all the flat surfaces in my house (or at least all the counters etc) into inductive chargers able to automatically charge everything at the appropriate voltage/rate.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It's quite obviously not something for the average user. I doubt that the average Droid/WP/whatever user could do something like this either.[/citation]

True fact. But it's definitely something neat for mod enthusiasts to check out!

- Catherine Cai

G

wow. cool. is like I could turn off my tv with the tv remote, but I just have to attach the remote close to the tv to do so???

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]Actually Michael Faraday is credited with discovering induction in 1831.....but regardless, hooray for magnetic induction! Took long enough for it to reach more consumer products besides electric toothbrushes and inductive cooking (in terms of power transfer...yes I know all motors and generators use induction). I'm still waiting for someone to invent a way to turn all the flat surfaces in my house (or at least all the counters etc) into inductive chargers able to automatically charge everything at the appropriate voltage/rate.[/citation]
but you will loose too much power they are just like electric transformers used in PSUs and stuff, you'd be happy to get 50-60% efficiency or less as the distance will be larger and there would be less permeability, PSU makers actually are happy to get their PSUs cretified for 80% efficiency, the rest would be transformed to heat which is bad too, so the whole idea won't really succeed.

BTW thanks school

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This isn't wireless. When I think of wireless electricity, Nicholas Tesla comes to mind. Until then, batteries will be fall of our electronics.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]This isn't wireless. When I think of wireless electricity, Nicholas Tesla comes to mind. Until then, batteries will be fall of our electronics.[/citation]

Is there a wire between the pad and the phone? No? Then it's wireless. It's not long range wireless, but it is wireless.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Inductive charging is certainly wireless. It works by passing AC through an induction coil to create an alternating electromagnetic field from within a charging station. A second induction coil in the portable device is then placed near the charger and the alternating magnetic field will induce a current within the devices coil thus allowing the battery to be charged. Think of setting an electric toothbrush on the base. There's no metal contacts or wires, just a base keeping the coils close.

Also, to madooo12, I don't see the connection between inductive charging and switching power supplies. You are indeed correct that older devices using induction were not examples of high efficiency. Heat was also often produced with increasing current transfer. The newest induction charging tech is 80-85% efficient thanks to ultra thin coils and higher frequencies. This also means it more easily fits into smaller handheld electronics (ie: power mat charging system). The increased efficiency also makes excess heat production less of a problem as more of the power makes it to the receiving coil.

Considering the basic iPhone charger has an output of only 1 amp @ 5v, it's not going to be a big deal to consume 15-20% more power on the charger supply side. The convenience of wireless charging and also not having to worry about the charging cables breaking is definitely going to be worth it to some of us more tech savvy. Plus I almost want to try this mod out just for the fun of it.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
So Apple mod only took 3 years from the first phone that was ready for this technology from the factory, the Palm Pre. BTW did Toms cover when someone did this with a Android phone?

Looking forward to seeing Open webOS at the end of the year, a OS that is ahead of most but so far have been kept down by bad decisions happening around it.

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I think it's better if wifi spots at the same has wireless charging.. so you can charge your phone just by passing by starbucks or something... then later in life you would wonder why you have cancer or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.