This is Intel's Vision for the "Smart" Car of the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Can you say Information-Overload ?

Seriously, the majority of people can not handle this kind of integration and still drive safely.
Not with the kind of 'drivers ed' we get in this country.

I get constantly asked if I can switch the clock in their new shiny car to daylight savings time... :)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ChiefTexas_82[/nom]But can it drive Crysi... Never mind. I really feel better if I drive my car and I don't have all that to deal with.[/citation]

This is why classic cars are highly sought after.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Notice that even in her demo she was in a car accident? Put the damn cell phone down and get the stupid Facebook page off of your heads-up display on the dash... When you're driving, concentrate on driving and not on who from your 'friend' list just checked in at Starbucks...

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
What happens when a computer component fails in your car? I wouldn't want that repair bill. I actually recently downgraded my washer and dryer to the old fashioned kind because of issues with computer components breaking.

G

@win7guru
Yearh.. that washerbord in the nearby stream always works the best 8O

jonny_76

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
[citation][nom]win7guru[/nom]What happens when a computer component fails in your car? I wouldn't want that repair bill. I actually recently downgraded my washer and dryer to the old fashioned kind because of issues with computer components breaking.[/citation]

I rented a top of the line Ford focus with leather seats and so much electronics, buttons on the steering wheel and dash that it was overwhelming at first. You think people driving and talking on cell phones now is bad, wait until they have all the electronics that distracts drivers. Not to mention that the repair bill for fixing the car electronics would be a huge cash cow for dealers, mechanics. "yes ma'am we can't just replace one bad LED, we need to replace the entire module...only $649 w labor included.
It is simple, since PC market is saturated, business is creating new (and mostly unnecessary) apps for cars for growth.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'd love a "smart car" that could drive itself whenever I wanted a break from the wheel. What I don't want is "Uncle Sam" watching everytime I drive to 7 Eleven for a cup of coffee!

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I drive a car with all wheel drive, and it sucks. It kills the power to the wheels if it thinks you're skidding. (2011 mazda tribiute)

And you can not turn it off.

I hate it.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
This is just Intel expanding their portfolio.

No distractions? Why even put a face on the screen/windshield? Why micromanage almost everything while driving? For doing all what she said while driving... you can save... say 10 mins a day. or ~61 hours a year... Crashing while doing that nets you a week/month or more in the hospital or forever 6' below.

When driving, you should just be driving. Want to do something other than driving? Legally park somewhere then do your thing.

paloss

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I really feel better if I drive my car and I don't have all that to deal with.
g.gif

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Self driving cars, the sooner the better. DUI's and insurance cost would plunge. A self driving car encourages lower speeds. What's the hurry if you can work or sleep instead of drive. Pedestrians, motorcycle riders, bike riders, etc. would be safer. Car sharing would be more practical if the car can drop someone off then go get someone else. Driverless taxis might replace a lot of private car ownership. Parking lots can be moved to out lying areas if the car can drive itself to a remote parking area. The possibilities are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.