This is the strangest thing thats ever happened to me ( 2 computers and a keyboard broke at the same time)

Gavin_Meyers

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
So two days ago I came home, opened up my Razer blade 14 2015 and was watching a few youtube videos. About 45 minutes later the screen went black on me, and the whole machine turned off including the light that confirms its charging. I try turning it back on but didnt have any luck. I didnt have the time to open it up but i still needed to send a few emails so i grabbed my Surface pro 3, which I soon found out also is completely dead. The surface's chargers light is on, confirming it is charging but its completely dead. I then had to leave but when I returned both devices (charging for 5+ hours) still were dead. I took the back off the razer and reconnected all of the battery cables because i had recently disconnected them before installing a larger ssd, but those were fine as well. I looked at my keyboard, ( Corsair k70) and noticed all the lights on the top were on,but it was unresponsive as well. I plugged it into my Mac and it didnt work either. So in the span of about 20 minutes something happened to two expensive computers and a keyboard. Two days later, (ive left them unplugged) neither work still. I had both devices plugged into a surge protector and there wasnt any storms. I have no clue as to what could have caused this. If you can help, thanks! Im probably going to take the surface to Best Buy (where I bought it) and see if its still in warranty, but I think i will have to send in the Razer blade...

Solution

So what I ended up doing was opening up the Blade and disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. After putting it back together, it turned on! As I was plugging in my peripherals, I noticed my USB hub's power supply wasn't plugged in. I went to plug it in and as soon as I did, the Razer's screen went black and it wouldn't turn back on. So I opened it back up and reconnected the battery, which solved the problem again. So finally got the Blade working but I have no...

Gavin_Meyers

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

So what I ended up doing was opening up the Blade and disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. After putting it back together, it turned on! As I was plugging in my peripherals, I noticed my USB hub's power supply wasn't plugged in. I went to plug it in and as soon as I did, the Razer's screen went black and it wouldn't turn back on. So I opened it back up and reconnected the battery, which solved the problem again. So finally got the Blade working but I have no intent of taking apart a Surface, so I'm going to take that in. Sadly, it fried my K70, so I will probably be buying a new keyboard tomorrow as well. I'm just hoping that the Surface just had the same problem as the Razer and it can be fixed.

Solution

Gavin_Meyers

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
In short, I will be getting a new USB hub, I want nothing to do with that one even if it is safe, I just feel more comfortable with one that hasn't tried to destroy my electronics.