This is What's Wrong With iPhone 4's Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
More loaded crap from a company that can't seem to answer the problems correctly. First, it was to deal with it, then it was other phones have the same problem, now there's no problem at all!

G

Aahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahah
Well... ahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha
They should teach Signal Processing in my university!

teeoneimme

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
"we hope you love the iphone 4 as much as we do," why? someone told me to retire, relax cause its just a phone and its not worth it.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]If you can't score a passing grade, change the test.[/citation]

Thats the American way!!!!! Lower the standards until everyone meets them!!!!

foxikk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
How come this is software related?
When using bumper seems to fix this problem, so... still software?

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
Well, you think they could have designed the antenna better so the location that you cannot touch would not be in a commonly touched location on the phone...

On my Blackberry, I have to cover up the entire back with my hand before it loses signal strength, and even then it's only 1 bar.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I hope everyone returns the phone. If they would show the actual decibel level, then they would have to fix it for real. As for making the other bars bigger. I think that is just a ploy to make it harder to tell that you have crappy reception.

marcus_br

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
So, let's see if i get this right:

From the first Iphone they knew it was lying on the reception...but they left it that way, because users smiled and were proud of having more reception where others did not.

Now that this turns into a problema, they fix it.

GO apple GO!

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
So, basically, to make everyone think the iPhone got good reception, they fudged the bar display, going back as far as the original iPhone. Friends don't let friends buy Apple products.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
It's disturbing to see that tech blogs such as Anandtech (or Tom's) are the ones doing the more thorough testing of those devices. The guy who did it at Anandtech had to jailbreak his phone to get the numbers under the bars!
So basically, Apple was not going to do anything about it, but Anandtech proved this was a huge issue if your signal was already 4 bars or fewer. Now Apple is scrambling for a fix.

Someone said that the initial response to a crisis is the one people remember. You have an extremely short window of opportunity to provide people with an answer (in this case, "yes, we know, sorry, we're working on it" would have been fine), but I think Apple blew it.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
How come this is software related?
When using bumper seems to fix this problem, so... still software?

Foxikk, if you read the entire article, you may discover that it's because the software is already reporting that the signal is much higher than it actually is. Therefore, when you reduce the existing low signal just a couple of db's lower, it jumps down to about where it belonged in the first place, perhaps losing half a bar or less in reality.

I'm surprised stuff like this doesn't happen more. Imagine if instead of falling, it jumped up. That would make as much sense.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I think a class action suit for the dropped calls, and inflated reception for all the other iphones will be filed in 3.2.1....

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hiding the problem without even attempting to solve the actual problem. Jobs would do brilliantly in politics. Or as the CEO of a company like BP...

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Just admit it's a design flaw Apple and fix it for all the sheep.

That or at least work with AT&T to credit everyone $30.00 on their next months bill for the silly overcharge of bumper cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.