Thoughts on These Laptops for Gaming

Ascendency

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hello all,
I'm looking for advice on purchasing a new laptop, preferably in the $450-$550 range. I would like it to be "as powerful as possible" for my price range(forgive the vague statement, I am actually a computer programmer/ computer engineering student but I figured that was the easiest way to say it). I've found 3 laptops that seem to be probably the most promising for my price range:

Lenovo Y50-70 with Nvidia GTX 860m and intel 4th gen i7-4700HQ

Acer E15 E5-575G-52RJ with Intel i5 6th Gen 6200U (2.30 GHz) and Nvidia GeForce 940MX

HP Pavilion 15-au018wm with Intel Core i7-6500U and 2GB Nvidia Geforce 940MX

I realize that none of these are fancy desktop replacement gaming machines, but I was just wanting to get some outside input on which of these might be a better choice for gaming/more taxing applications.. if there is even a difference that is significant. Anyway, I would be very grateful for any advice on which is a better option, or if there is something else out there I don't know about, I would love hear about it. The laptop also doesn't have to be new; I don't mind purchasing used/refurbs if they are from reputable sources. Thanks in advance! (Side note: not concerned about HDD...Ill likely be upgrading that when I get the PC anyway)

Solution

Even though it...

I disagree. The GTX 860m in the first one should outperform the 940mx in either of the other two or the one in your link.

And the i7-4700HQ in the first laptop will smoke the processors in the other two or the one in your link from Newegg once again.

The first laptop is the best by far.

Name_Pys

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

Chugalug_

Estimable

Oh right, my bad, thought it was a 4500u. :p
Yeah, with the HQ it should do much better paired with the 860M.
I figured the CPU would be a bottleneck if it was a 4500u.
The first option beats the other two in terms of performance, but thermals might prove to be a bit of an issue with that heat output.

Even though it is used (which the OP doesn't mind), the first one he mentioned is superior in capability to any of the others mentioned by him or anyone else in these posts. It isn't even a judgment call. Being new is the biggest advantage some of the others have. :D

Solution

Ascendency

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks a lot for the input guys! I will probably be going with the Lenovo, however I am gonna think about it for a little. Because like some of you said, the Acer and HP are newer, but I'm not sure whether I wanna go with a slightly higher performance or something with a bit more "newness."

Either way, thanks a bunch! I appreciate the information.