Tiamat 7.1 Buzzing Noise after Motherboard change.

eXidus

Estimable
Mar 13, 2014
I bought an i7-4790k the other day, had to also get a new motherboard due to my old one being an AMD3.

After getting everything running, I'm hearing a buzzing noise with my Tiamat 7.1 headset. It's quite, until I open a game then it becomes very annoying.

Motherboard I'm using is a Gigabyte Z97X-SLI, (This issue didn't start until I got the new Mobo) when I disconnect the USB for my headset the buzzing stops. I've tried all the ports on my computer and it seems to continue no matter what port I'm using.

Could this be a defective motherboard? I've attempted to search online for an answer and I've tried a lot of things but nothing has worked.

Should I get a dedicated sound card and try that maybe? I'm lost as to what I should be doing at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Solution
It's not a defective motherboard, but it is related to the USB.

If the USB 3.0 ports on your new motherboard aren't well shielded, you'll get feedback like that. Could be that the ones on your AM3 board were better shielded from feedback. This isn't a defect in the motherboard, some just don't invest as much in this, because most people use their USB for either A) data transfer or B ) charging/powering devices, and more people tend to plug USB head sets in the front panel for cable convenience, where its away from all the other electronic components that could interfere. My Maximus VI Hero gives me a buzz with my Tiamats.

The USB is just providing power to the Tiamats and nothing else. It doesn't need to be plugged in to be recognized...

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
It's not a defective motherboard, but it is related to the USB.

If the USB 3.0 ports on your new motherboard aren't well shielded, you'll get feedback like that. Could be that the ones on your AM3 board were better shielded from feedback. This isn't a defect in the motherboard, some just don't invest as much in this, because most people use their USB for either A) data transfer or B ) charging/powering devices, and more people tend to plug USB head sets in the front panel for cable convenience, where its away from all the other electronic components that could interfere. My Maximus VI Hero gives me a buzz with my Tiamats.

The USB is just providing power to the Tiamats and nothing else. It doesn't need to be plugged in to be recognized by your computer.

You can use any old USB to wall adapter plug to power your Tiamats. I got a basic USB Male to USB Female extension cable, and plugged it in to one of my old phone chargers and plugged it into my wall socket/surge protector, and the buzzing went away. I would recommend this solution if you're having this issue.

Solution