TigerText iPhone App Nukes Texts, Allows Cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Whatever happened to IM? Seriously, with data-plans and smart phones these days, do you even need SMS? I don't think Yahoo keeps a copy of every single IM sent between users, does it? Just set your client to not keep a history and bam, not electronic trail (and before you say the person on the other end could keep a history, why would they then agree to use TigerText if they want to black mail you anyway?).

Jeebus people, think things through before you do something you'll regret doing if you ever get caught doing it (or just don't do it, whatever).

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Yes, Yahoo, ICQ and MSN Messenger all keep records of your IM's even if you don't so no joy there.

This service would be great if they are actually nuking the messages.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have no desire to actually use this app but I am curious as to whether or not these "tiger texts" count as text messages on my texting plan. If they didn't I would be interested just for the simple fact that unlimited texts only cost $2.49 a month. I think I pay AT&T $15 or $20 right now.

I also find it outrageously ironic that I pay for unlimited data and then pay separately for unlimited text messages. Are the carriers trying to tell me that an SMS or MMS isn't data? Please.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I can't see how a person would require this.

If you are into activities which you should not TXT or communicate via your phone why would you take the risk?

If your activities are bad... but not illegal, use your phone and delete the history, good enough, who cares if it is on a server somewhere.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I have no desire to actually use this app but I am curious as to whether or not these "tiger texts" count as text messages on my texting plan. If they didn't I would be interested just for the simple fact that unlimited texts only cost $2.49 a month.[/citation]
very true...
BUT both or all people have to have the app installed :( that would be a kick ass loophole though.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
these are not traditional "text" messages... they're simply messages posted to private message boards and retrieved by the application. so would only count against your cell phone's data plan since you're accessing a web page, essentially. SMS actually runs on a sideband of your voice carrier signal and does not count against your data usage plan. MMS on the other hand...

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]I wish the media could leave the man alone. He had been humiliated enough.[/citation]

The media didn't create this app, and if you don't like the coverage don't read/watch it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]very true... BUT both or all people have to have the app installed that would be a kick ass loophole though.[/citation]

Yeah. It would also only work if anyone you wanted to text had an iPhone. Oh well

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]I wish the media could leave the man alone. He had been humiliated enough.[/citation]
I don't see what the big deal is with tiger to be honest...

How many people cheat on their spouses daily? just because this guy can golf makes cheating different in what way? who cares....

Go Tiger, enjoy your 19th hole while you are young!
--------------------

I have always loved to watch him play, but I could never stand his interviews, he always seemed fake to me. I think he is a "controller" and his fake personality was him trying to "control" the viewers into believing his BS.
But he is a great golfer...

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
In the US all commercial services providing email, texting and IM services are required to keep two years of content even if you the receiver or sender have deleted that content.

This is mandated by multiple things including the Patriot Act and child predator protection laws.

I'm saddened that THG is pulling an engadget and not researching their facts enough to know this. I would hate to think that they do know this and for some reason are stating otherwise (advertising...)

And for those who don't know, your voicemails are also stored for 2 years from the time you delete them.

And the US is not alone in this either as the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. do the same thing.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I'd think that having Tiger Text installed in the first place would be a red flag to anyone who cares enough to be nosey.[/citation]

Catch 22 here.

Partner: "Why do you have Tiger Text on your phone? Why would you need it?
You: Why were you looking through my phone?

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Whatever happened to IM? Seriously, with data-plans and smart phones these days, do you even need SMS? [/citation]
My phone was made in the time when SMS was revolutionary.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
You just better pray to god your spouse has absolutely no idea what TigerText is the next time they go looking through your phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.