Tim Berners-Lee: WWW Will Not be Controlled By One Entity

Status
Not open for further replies.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
"programming modems to browse web pages and retrieve email"

Really? Did you even bother to read that sentence after you wrote it?

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]sewalk[/nom]"programming modems to browse web pages and retrieve email"Really? Did you even bother to read that sentence after you wrote it?[/citation]

Can you explain what is the mistake, please? I do not see it.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Good article and the guy is right. If not companies like Facebook then Governments will want to destroy the openness of the net. Facebook and the likes are for Tools and Fools.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]sewalk[/nom]"programming modems to browse web pages and retrieve email"Really? Did you even bother to read that sentence after you wrote it?[/citation]

You must not have been around in the early to mid 90's when many times one was forced to reprogram one's dial up modem to get it to work with various ISP's in retrieving web sites and email. The sentence is correct as it stands, it is you that failed to understand that that is actually how things used to be.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Well we should be worried about a form of internet control ...... Censorship! This type of control has is likely to be far worse than other types of control.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I remember configuring modems to switch between different modulation standards (like Bell 103 vs V.21) and the like but for the most part I remember configuring terminal emulators to employ different parity settings when connecting to different servers.
As far as retrieving mail and news, it was the offline mail reader I remember configuring, not the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.