Time to change laptop? ASUS K45VD

ivancotes

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
I've been using my ASUS K45VD for the past 3-4 years, and I haven't had any significant problem. But I feel I'm getting a little behind in some of my daily activities.

These are the specs of my current laptop:
I7 3630QM 2.4ghz, 8gb ram, Nvidia geforce 610m, 1tb hdd.

I'm definetly not a hardcore gaming user, just a regular gamer (LoL, Cs:Go, GtaV, ) and in addition to those needs, I'm a civil engineering student who's constantly using structural analysis software such as SAP2000, ETABs, drawing software as Autocad 2D-3D, etc...

Would you guys suggest to me? Should I been looking for some alternatives?

Thank you for taking your time to answer.

Solution
For non-gaming, that system is fine. Swap out the hard drive for a solid state for about $80-150 depending on the size you need, install a clean setup of Windows on that, system will feel faster than when it was new.
What seems slow to you?

If it is just a matter of the laptop booting up slowly (or slower than you would like), or programs starting up slow, then what hang-the-9 recommended should solve the problem because SSDs have faster read / write speeds compared to traditional HDDs.

However, if you feel that it take a long time for the programs you use to complete computations / analysis / rendering, then it would be worthwhile to purchase a new laptop with a more powerful CPU.