Time Warner Axes Tiered Bandwidth Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Finally some sensibility. I can't see why they think bandwidth caps would be "the best pricing plan" when they prices they came up with were worse than ever. It would take some extremely competetive per GB pricing to get me on the caps wagon.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
They are just bullshitting us until they come out with something less extreme. They still want to line their pockets they just won't be able to quite as much as they hoped for.

G

ppl should still jump ship if there are other ISP options in their area. This move by TWC just delays the implmentation of a cap. They have to learn the hard way that even thinking about a cap like what was initially imposed is absurd. This way they will not have the excess marketshare to make any foolish decisions...

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Down_TWC[/nom]ppl should still jump ship if there are other ISP options in their area. This move by TWC just delays the implmentation of a cap. They have to learn the hard way that even thinking about a cap like what was initially imposed is absurd. This way they will not have the excess marketshare to make any foolish decisions...[/citation]
Unfortunately Ilive in an area where AT&T is the only other option, and having been a customer in the past, from experience its not an option for me.

The main deal breaker for me is, Uploading a file while downloading at the same time. I'm not even referring to Bit Torrent, if I am uploading a few files to my website, and I'm also downloading lets say a patch, my download speed is nearly crippled while uploading.

Sure it may seem minor to some people, but to me I can't stand it.
Oh and their equally unsavory "up to" 3Mbit down and 512Kbit up statement, When I had them I was lucky to get 2Mbit down and my up speed never got close to 512Kbit. I was close enough to the CO to get 6mbit speeds, yet couldn't actually get the full 3mbit.(6mbit tier has limited slots available)

So no AT&T please.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Yes! the little guy wins! I take offense about the being trained to enjoy their caps comment. The CEO's in their ivory towers assume we have no brains and will take whatever they decide to let us have. I think we have just proved them wrong.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
"the best pricing plan for consumers" would be to leave the maximum usage level at the current pricing, without a cap, and lower the price for people who use low amounts of bandwidth. They will never be able to explain how raising prices are best for consumers.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
*applauds* Thank you Time Warner.

Also, they don't need an intrusive program to tell you what you use monthly in bandwidth. A simple email from them would tell you. They have the ability to track it themselves. So much for caring to "educated the consumer" though.

G

I wonder how well these bandwidth monitors work on wifi accesspoints (with multiple pc's).

I also wonder howmany customers it will lose.
I guess they carefully analyzed the situation,and thought there weren't enough customers to start worrying.
I'd only say, if possible,get you and your friends to another internet connection!

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
No Problems with my Bell line. I pay $30 a month and get 6Mbit up and 1Mbit down with no bandwidth cap and no throttling. I will never switch to cable.

G

$55 a month 30/5 never been "throttled" and I have CABLE. Everyone throttles at some point though...if its not our cable modem then its "throttled" at some peering point...so I guess every service provider is screwing their customers by not having unlimited bandwidth every hop a session takes....... The academics already figured out that it is counter-productive to throttle in a world with no politics and money but in the real world it must occur in some form at some point.

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
"Despite the tier program expansion being put on hold, Time Warner plans on 'continuing consumer education' on the matter, leaving the cancellation of the plan somewhat open-ended."

Yes, we are all stupid, stupid folk. TWC is oh so smart. In fact, they are shocked that they weren't smart enough to predict that their stupid costumers did not just take their abuse and said "Thank you. May I have another?" People just need to be "educated", read: swindled.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]dig17[/nom]$55 a month 30/5 never been "throttled" and I have CABLE. Everyone throttles at some point though...if its not our cable modem then its "throttled" at some peering point...so I guess every service provider is screwing their customers by not having unlimited bandwidth every hop a session takes....... The academics already figured out that it is counter-productive to throttle in a world with no politics and money but in the real world it must occur in some form at some point.[/citation]

I've never been throttled either(with the exception of my plans max speed of course).....throttling isn't the main issue here, its the cap on consumption, and the overage charges. While most would prefer it the way it is now, Throttling would be preferred to overage charges IF we had to put up with caps, I mean if they cut it in half, I could live with 8Mbits down and keep downloading/streaming etc.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
TWC will be more consumer-friendly

Doubtful..

Much like when you were younger and got caught doing something wrong, you don't stop doing, at least not right away. you simply try harder not to get caught.

G

Chuckie Schumer, man of the people - what a joke!

"I will make sure that any changes going forward are in line with..."

What a bunch of posing - TWC is free to setup pricing however misguided it is (unless they are gouging or violating laws). It's funny how he comes out with the statement AFTER TWC scrapped the plan - the guy is a joke! Next thing you know he'll have Cuomo shaking them down as well. Schumer had nothing to do with this and will have nothing to do with it - I hat politicians more interested in scoring points then doing their job.... this is not a federal issue that a US Senator should be dealing with - this should be left up to state government.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
"It is clear from the public response over the last two weeks that there is a great deal of misunderstanding about our plans to roll out additional tests on consumption based billing"

The one who's misunderstanding is TWC. I'm in a bandwidth-capped service and it ain't fun ... unfortunately, no one cares about other ISPs esp. in other nations like my ISP in Canada. Consider TWC customers lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.