Time Warner digital adapter and TV Tuner

wendyzz

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I have Time Warner analog cable and have been using a KWorld TV Tuner and TotalMedia free bundle software to record movies. Last week I was given a digital adapter and a message states that I cannot record because it is copyrighted. I never received such messages before I use the adapter. What can I do to record movie in the computer so that I can download it to an external hard drive?

Welcome to the world of Digital Cable (you don't have analog cable anymore) and Digital Rights Management (DRM). Unfortunately, aside to upgrading your TV Tuner to a cablecard solution (and leasing a cablecard from Time Warner), there's nothing you can do.

Normally, I would expect the coaxial, analog output of the digital adapter you received would still allow you to record, but apparently, that is not the case.

-Wolf sends

wendyzz

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Thank you. Is a cable card only suitable for desktop or can it be used on a laptop? What kind of cable card is it? My computer is a laptop. After having the digital adapter, I tried using my old setting for the TV Tuner to scan the channels. Every time I scanned, I got a new set of random channels, anywhere from 3-9, way too little compared to what I had before. Finally I was lucky to figure it out. I pointed the remote that came with the Time Warner adapter to the adapter unit and press Channel 3. Then using the remote, you can select any channel in your area that is included in your plan. So I pressed 53 for Channel 53 and the computer showed what was airing for that channel. I went ahead and programmed what I wanted to see in an hour. Left the computer on Channel 53 and later it was recorded, just like the old days. However, one thing I cannot figure out or maybe it is impossible. If I want to program a second recording of a different channel, say Channel 2, I have to be physically present to use the remote to change to Channel 2, after the first recording is completed. Otherwise, the second recording will be taping from Channel 53 and not from Channel 2. I hope I can figure out how to do a second recording of a different channel without manually changing the channel. Well, at least there is still hope that I can record shows but it is not as convenient as it used to.

Well, it's good that you're able to view and record your channels again. The ability to change channels for recording purposes would have to be a function of your digital adapter. Contact Time Warner and see if that's an option with your current adapter.

-Wolf sends

wendyzz

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Thank you. I had a Time Warner technician came out to see if he can help me. He has never seen a TV tuner before and cannot help me with equipment not from Time Warner. He suggested DVR but I will not be able to put it on an external drive. This is before I figured it out myself. I am glad I can still record. Just a little inconvenient that I have to be physically at home to change channel. Is that cable card for desktop or for laptop?