Time Warner Launches Wideband Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I would not trust any internet provider that supports traffic caps, and as TW was among the first on that bandwagon, they get my -1 and a heartfelt "f..k you, TW!"
Also, think about it: with the caps in place and the speed they claim can offer, one could reach their limit in about 5 min... Same heartfelt wish as above!

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Honestly, there's no reason for 50Mb/s a second. The highest I've ever gotten was 7Mb/s off a few torrents. Nothing could possibly upload to you that fast. Upload speed is so much more important for... well, pretty much everything, yet it's always so low...

I wouldn't even consider paying $70 for 50down/2up Mb/s. I would, however for 20down/10up.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
What is the point of faster connections when ISPs put caps on how much data you can download in a month? I have received two threatening letters from Comcast about my internet usage since I started my subscription to Netflix(I use it a lot) and since I have started working on my majors courses.

On top of Netflix, I play quite a bit on Xbox Live, I download a lot of movies(legally through Xbox Live Marketplace), I also download(purchased) music through Amazon, iTunes, and other places. I easily use up more than 250 GB in a month, but apparently Comcast dislikes this. Of course, I simply wrote and called back with my own threats and they have left me alone for the time being.

Telling people how much they are allowed to use a product they pay for is asinine and should be squelched by the U.S Government. I am vehemently against "big government", but they do have the right to regulate and the FCC needs to do their job and stop these artificial caps.

Hell, if the government is going to tell me I cannot smoke flavored cigarettes, then they sure as hell can fucking tell telecommunication corporations not to shit-can customers that move a lot of data.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Honestly, there's no reason for 50Mb/s a second. The highest I've ever gotten was 7Mb/s off a few torrents.[/citation]
How do 7 simultaneous torrents sound? :eek: 49Mb/s right there.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Honestly, there's no reason for 50Mb/s a second. The highest I've ever gotten was 7Mb/s off a few torrents. Nothing could possibly upload to you that fast. Upload speed is so much more important for... well, pretty much everything, yet it's always so low...I wouldn't even consider paying $70 for 50down/2up Mb/s. I would, however for 20down/10up.[/citation]

Can you say newsgroups!!! I dl from newsgroups with TW now at approximately 14mbps. Torrents is not the ideal format for dl'ing anything larger then a cd, nor is ideal in terms of hiding from the DRM police. And just in case your wondering I use SSL when connected to the newsgroups.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]What is the point of faster connections when ISPs put caps on how much data you can download in a month? I have received two threatening letters from Comcast about my internet usage since I started my subscription to Netflix(I use it a lot) and since I have started working on my majors courses.On top of Netflix, I play quite a bit on Xbox Live, I download a lot of movies(legally through Xbox Live Marketplace), I also download(purchased) music through Amazon, iTunes, and other places. I easily use up more than 250 GB in a month, but apparently Comcast dislikes this. Of course, I simply wrote and called back with my own threats and they have left me alone for the time being.Telling people how much they are allowed to use a product they pay for is asinine and should be squelched by the U.S Government. I am vehemently against "big government", but they do have the right to regulate and the FCC needs to do their job and stop these artificial caps.Hell, if the government is going to tell me I cannot smoke flavored cigarettes, then they sure as hell can fucking tell telecommunication corporations not to shit-can customers that move a lot of data.[/citation]

I can't speak for all but I've been using TW for several years now and trust me when I say I dl a bunch of sh*t (on average 150GBs a month) and not once have they bothered me.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
...50 Mb/s downloads starting today...
Not this b*llsh*t again!!! I thought there was already a law that prohibits this specific kind of misrepresentation from ISPs/Telcos? Trunk/line speed for a given area =/= Trunk/line speed per unit/person in that area.
...50 Mb/s at most/peak/every full moon (good luck with that) downloads starting today...

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Honestly, there's no reason for 50Mb/s a second. The highest I've ever gotten was 7Mb/s off a few torrents.

remember 50mb/s is NOT 50 megabytes/sec its megaBIT. so a 50megabit connection is only what 6.25ish megabytes/s.

i have Comcast 22mb connection and i can easily download 10GB(gigabytes) in 30 min. granted that is with good torrents. and i have on several occasions uploaded (accidentally mind you) over 100GB over night

Status
Not open for further replies.