Time Warner Stalls Tier Program in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hopefully they come up with better tiers, such as $15 for 1GB, $30 for 25GB, $50 for 200GB, and $75 for unlimited. This would make all fees maxed at $75.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It is probably because here in Austin there is no Time Warner monopoly and there are 50,000 college students who follow tech news to tell all of their friends and family to switch from Time Warner to a faster and cheaper Fios or AT&T U-Verse. Time Warner probably lost close to 5,000 customers in the weeks following the announcement and if they don't let up on the caps it will just get worse for them.

No one who lives in an area with multiple ISP options should stick with Time Warner with the caps they are currently planning. Vote with your wallets people. They are starting to get the picture let's make it as CLEAR AS POSSIBLE for them.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
extortionist at work! their dribble to the press is hilarious. 'we didn't think this through...' right... TWC will loose me as a 10+ year customer the moment they try any data capping on me in TX.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Well, at least my NY delegation is stepping up, mainly because we flooded their offices with email messages...

Force your representative to represent you; get everyone you know to put some pressure on them, and before you know it, they will be against any form of bandwith cap.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Heh, here in the Dallas TX area if thet try to impose caps I am quite sure Verizon would not waste any time reminding me they are offering unlimited access.I have stuck with TW to this point but the moment they cap I move to FIOS.

bootleghooch

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I read this as $90 for unlimited ($15 for lite plus $75 for max overages), unless they have other stipulations that they aren't stating. Much cheaper than buying the 100GB cap and paying overages.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Anyone with a choice will drop timer warner asap but they will screw anyone they have a monopoly on of course.

I want to see Timer Warner make a cap on how many hours of TV you can watch a week and put a cap on that....... o wait they would FUCKING NEVER do that because they make more money selling TV advertising but the internet they don't control so they will just limit access instead so people will watch more TV.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bootleghooch[/nom]I read this as $90 for unlimited ($15 for lite plus $75 for max overages), unless they have other stipulations that they aren't stating. Much cheaper than buying the 100GB cap and paying overages.[/citation]
The only issue is the speed-cap on the $15 plan. If I recall the tiered plans include speeds as well. So the 100GB cap includes a 20Mbps download speed. The 1GB cap probably comes with a 512Kbps download speed, not really gonna download too much data there.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I am, in my area, already seeing clients leave TWC for AT&T DSL. Even though DSL is slower, they don't want to worry about hitting a cap.

And I shook my head at the notion that 30% of TWC customers use less than 1 gigabyte a month. Measuring that, loading a modern webpage once a day for thirty days will eat towards that point quickly. Watching a video on youtube hits that point within a few days. TWC, your money grab is going to cost you subscribers, stop with this nonsense that its incurring additional costs (your financial statements don't lie, even though you have attempted too).

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I would have to agree with most of the comments. In any place where there is a remotely decent alternative people are going to switch over. No one wants to deal with risking side fees and charges if they don't have to. Its just one more thing to worry about on an already full plate for many of us.

Throttling down to a still reasonable speed would be much more stomach-able for me personally. But if I have a decent alternative I'd still switch.

The only scary thing would be if the other major providers followed suit. Then the consumer is pretty much screwed. Of course we have 5 RIAA lawyers in the government now so they might try to help push some shenanigans through as well.

In the mean time I sincerely hope that every last customer ditches TW before the 3 month "grace" period even begins. As Tayb said...send a message with your dollars.

Hellwig might be on to something, where the lowest tier is too slow to conceivably download 100GB in a month.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I live in San Antonio and made it abundantly clear to Customer Service here that not only would i discontinue all accounts with Time Warner but make sure as many of my friends as possible where aware of what was going on and where to find cheaper alternatives. My guess is alot of the other customers here did the same.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
The San Antonio area practices proper free-market principles, so multiple ISPs are allowed to operate, so there is no monopoly. Because of that, the consumer is king. What he/she says goes, and consumers speak with their wallets. Enough people say "I won't do that, that's stupid. I'm just going to switch providers, and you won't get my money," and T-W has to concede their position in order just to stay alive in that market. Now if only New York could de-regulate like that, and let the market solve its own problems...

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
If you watch one movie, download one game, or do pretty much anything you are done w/ your 1GB cap in under an hour. I hope Time Warner loses as much money as possible for this extortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.