TiVo On the Auction Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
After seeing the flop they made in my country (New Zealand) after partnering with one of the most hated companies in the country I don't find it difficult to see them failing as a whole.

G

TiVo sucks anyway, why pay for something you can get for free with a DVR from Philips?

G

I just bought to Tivo Premier XL about two months ago and absolutely love it! It is so easy to search for and play content from various sources - cable, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, YouTube, etc. Hopefully the hardware will hold up long enough for me to take advantage of my lifetime subscription.

Tivo has IP value, cash, carry-forward losses and they are definitely a good takeover candidate. There is a good chance multiple bids will come in once someone makes the first move. I do believe Tivo's poison pill is still in effect for another few months, though. Any offer would have to be done with the full consent of the Board. Either way, I certainly would not want to be short the stock and wake up one morning to a 50% or more loss!

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The TiVo Premier/HD line is still a great product... if they'd only consider adding a Blu-Ray drive they'd have a killer set. I switched from TiVo to Windows7 Media Center to avoid the $12/month TiVo fee.

Now that WMC has 4-tuner cablecard support and a full OS (where I can add network video, network tuners, extra disk dirves, etc...) There's no looking back. For others though, the TiVo with a built in drive (even if it's just a DVD player) would probably be more than enough.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]I believe Microsoft is the most potential acquirer.[/citation]I seriously doubt it. Tivo is entirely Linux-based. WebTV+Tivo makes about as much sense as Windows Phone 7+Nokia. Tivo is imploding due to increasing competition from cheap PVR devices. It has lost a lot of subscribers.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]lucky015[/nom]After seeing the flop they made in my country (New Zealand) after partnering with one of the most hated companies in the country I don't find it difficult to see them failing as a whole.[/citation]

Would that be a cable company? lol TiVo should have played nice with more TV service providers in order to have them sell their boxes. Would be interesting to see who cannibalizes TiVo which is sad since TiVo did have a great concept.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Google just bought sagetv 2 weeks ago.

sagetv is DVR application that runs on java ( mac, MS & linux editions available b4 buyout )
It was imao the best dvr software available - highly flexible with many user generated plugins.
No one is telling why google bought sagetv but be prepared for some potentially interesting moves in the DVR market.

G

TiVo's user interface is the best I've ever used. I'm with DirecTV for most TV watching and have stayed with Standard Definition TiVos just to keep the user interface and yes, I pay a "DVR service fee" to DirecTV each month for my TiVo's to be able to download their programming guides and for the privilege of keeping my TiVos. I've used DirecTV's DVRs and the user interface is NOT as good as TiVo's... It's true what TiVo says, "It'll change the way you watch television."

Here's hoping the very best of TiVo's future, whether a "reincarnation" is involved or not.

Sorta' reminds me of the Apple Macintoshes vs. Microsoft Windows PCs "wars" - a great idea that most folks have not experienced due to "fate" (or actions by "little guys" and "big guys").

Again, good luck, TiVo!

Status
Not open for further replies.