TiVo to Sell Data on Your Ad Watching Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds like yet another step towards the "no-privacy" "no-freedom" approach, like we've seen with IPRED, the guilty verdict in the TBP case, and the latest thing to hit (yet again under our noses) us in the nether regions, called: telekompaketet.

I shouldn't be joking about it. They have gone to far, and soon the people will join me, and i for one don't see a need for "non-violence".

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Well the online networks, like Fox and ABC only make you watch 1 30 second ad. I am much more likely to pay attention to that 1 add the 5 45 seconds commericials. I usually just mute the TV and get up and walk away just to spite the companies for shoving their propaganda down my throat.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]As for Viva Revolution, I'll be right there with you protecting what our forfathers died protecting...[/citation]

Oh please, making comments like that cheapens what they fought and died for.

They didn't die to save you from Tivo.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
If they are going to see increased ad revenue from selling information about my viewing habits I better see a reduction in monthly fees.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]If they are going to see increased ad revenue from selling information about my viewing habits I better see a reduction in monthly fees.[/citation]

Haha, agreed, my good sir!

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I think there should be a mandatory opt out. Plus, Tivo should give some kind of credit on your bill if you do participate; I'm sure they are getting paid by the ad companies. The Nielsen group sent our house $30 in cash ($10 for each person) to write down what we watched for 2 weeks!

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I like that line of thought tayb. ;)

To another possible bonus is that if they understand which ads we watch it should give them better insight on how to not make super annoying commercials. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I do hunt for the silver lining where I can.

G

I make sure everything is recorded before I watch it pretty much. If it's not recorded I take a nap, do homework, whatever while it records. Then I come back and watch none of the ads.

There, can I get paid instead of TiVo for sharing my ad watching habits?

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I have a hate / love relationship with Tivo. I love it because after experimenting with PC DVR and also my cable companies (Bright House) on-demand DVR HD service... Tivo simply is the best. I just hate it because the monthly fee is per Tivo box. I wouldn't even mind paying maybe a discounted monthly fee per Tivo box but paying exactly the same amount for each account is just too much. FYI - I have the TIVO Dual Tuner HD with HDMI/Component - 80hr recording time.

velo116

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Why watch commercials for adult diapers when you can watch commercials for something you might actually find useful? I like the idea of targeted ads.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I wish someone could explain how I have a huge cable bill monthly, yet I only see 2 months of new shows ALL YEAR!

Yah, I skip the commercials unless there is a hotie in the add or it’s just funny (rare).

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I gave my whole TV away some years ago BECAUSE of all these annoying commercials.
Netflix, radio and CNN.com gives me what I want.

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
TiVo really blows hard. The Dish Network DVR is awesome. You just hit the 30 second skip button and don't have to worry about timing the TV commercial. And the chirping of the TiVo DRIVES ME INSANE!

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Viva revolution[/nom]Sounds like yet another step towards the "no-privacy" "no-freedom" approach, like we've seen with IPRED, the guilty verdict in the TBP case, and the latest thing to hit (yet again under our noses) us in the nether regions, called: telekompaketet.I shouldn't be joking about it. They have gone to far, and soon the people will join me, and i for one don't see a need for "non-violence".[/citation]

I see two: history would only repeat itself & THEY ARE PREPARED FOR IT.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]velo116[/nom]Why watch commercials for adult diapers when you can watch commercials for something you might actually find useful? I like the idea of targeted ads.[/citation]

Just as long as they don't target your subconscious too much with the help of those statistics they put to study.

G

The only reason the shows you love are even made is for advertising revenue. If no one is watching the ads, then the companies that buy the time are wasting their money. Sooner or later they will figure this out and demand for time slots for ads will fall. Put simply, without advertising, there will be no shows. A major shift in the way we pay for entertainment is going to be necessary. Either we "pay" in the form of aggravating commercials, annoyingly obvious product placements, etc. Or, we pay for it in cash.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Your never going to see a dime of rebate, they like all other companies
are struggling just to stay alive. Don't be surprised if your rates go up
5 to 10 percent next year, they are on the verge of bankruptsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.