News Today's Wordle answer — solution #245, Saturday, February 19

May 4, 2022
I used to use SUITE which uses 3 common vowels and 2 common consonants. Lately, it seems like some of the words have been a bit more obscure, so I've switched to HAVER (thanks goes out to The Proclaimers and 500 Miles for this obscure word). If no hits, that's fine, I burn some more letters to narrow the field by using two more vowels and other common consonants... MOIST. Yeah, I know... no one likes MOIST, but it reveals two more vowels and three more consonants . That combo helped me get today's HAIRY on the third guess! 🆒

May 10, 2022
The may 10th answer might also be a double. I was working through it but I have a b,u, and t as letters that are in the actual word.

May 10, 2022
There are 2 answers again evidently.. I have the same word as you and it's not gecko obviously 😅

May 20, 2022
Was in the exakt same position with the end of 335, but chose wrong. Didn't think GAMER would be a very likely word, so I chose GAZER instead. Goodbye 40 day streak!

May 29, 2022
Ugh. Today's (#344) was near impossible for a non native English speaker. Word I've only heard in couple of songs and would probably not use naturally in conversation.

May 20, 2022
I got Wordle 348 in 3 guesses as well, but I got... slightly luckier with my second guess. After guessing STARE I guessed PHONY, leaving me with 1 possible solution, and 4 green letters.

Jun 29, 2022
I got it in six. I never look at your clothes before hand but do so afterwards mainly to see how many gases is the average and how I get compared to others. I am usually one behind but like you I only missed one. Stop I think your clue gives too much away. Three of the letters are in the same order. How do I look at the clue prior to solving the puzzle, I would’ve gotten a huge hit saying awkward leave here right to coffee. Three of the letters are in the same order. How do I look at the clue prior to solving the puzzle, I would’ve gotten it right away because I’m almost saying the answer. Most of your other clues are less obvious.

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
"SHRED" isn't on the list of solutions??

That list is really starting to annoy me. I have wasted moves on several occasions by coming up with very plausible words that turned out not to be on The List.

TINGE, PRIMP and ROMAN are all words I have used recently, only to be told by Wordebot that they are not possible solutions. Now you say SHRED is also not there. What objection could anyone possibly have to SHRED? It's not rude, vulgar or obscure, so why is it missing?

I know it's "only a game", but that sort of thing really gets my goat.

Perhaps they could introduce a "strict" mode, that only allows you to enter words that on the "Solutions" list. At least that would save you from wasting moves on perfectly good words that are unaccountably missing.

Aug 8, 2022
I got #415 4/6 but I am playing with Hard mode turned on, which I notice is not something that you discuss often. My choices today were DEALT, POINT, NIGHT, UNFIT. Wordle bot gave me 96 for skill and 47 for luck. My only bad choice was apparently POINT for which I scored 89 but lucked out with 75! After that I just had 2 choices left, but then my luck desserted me as I plumbed for the wrong one.

Hard mode changes the dynamics somewhat, and even the best starting words list - for example DEALT is the best start in this mode (not CRANE - according to Wordle Bot). Anyway, your insight and take on hard mode would be interesting - and something I think that should be covered for people who play with it.

Aug 4, 2022
I have turned hard mode on and off. My beginning word is “ANTRE”. This contains all five of the top letters. I don’t have hard mode on because sometimes I use my second word, which is “COINS”. This word has the second set of the top ten letters. Then I work from there. If I have hard mode on, it forces me to use the previous letters, and that’s not always advisable.

BY the way- what is up with the use of Wordlebot? I don’t use it, and I never will. I’m a purist, and want to solve it completely without any external aids.

Aug 8, 2022
I have turned hard mode on and off. My beginning word is “ANTRE”. This contains all five of the top letters. I don’t have hard mode on because sometimes I use my second word, which is “COINS”. This word has the second set of the top ten letters. Then I work from there. If I have hard mode on, it forces me to use the previous letters, and that’s not always advisable.

BY the way- what is up with the use of Wordlebot? I don’t use it, and I never will. I’m a purist, and want to solve it completely without any external aids.
Wordle bot does not help solve the word, rather it is there as a learning AI after you have solved the word yourself! If you are a purist, you will want to know how to improve your own technique and Wordle bot analyses your answers to enable you to do exactly that. I suggest you spend some time learning what it is before condemning it out of hand entirely.
And yes, if you are a purist then using hard mode makes things more difficult for you - rather than taking the easy route of choosing entirely different letters. Challenge yourself! That's what Wordle is there for.

Aug 8, 2022
I got #417 3/6 and I am now playing with Hard mode turned off after managing to read your "hard mode - annoying mode" section. I am relatively new to Wordle having played only 12 games with a current streak of 7 (although I do have a 100% win rate). I have changed my mind about Hard mode, as it is definitely more tactical to use completely different letters in your next word even if you have got a few yellow/green hits on maybe your 1st or 2nd try. And yes, we want Wordle to be about strategy rather than simply luck (but I'll take some luck too when it comes my way!)

I started with STARE same as you did today, with pretty disastrous results I followed with DOING as it's one of the words you recommended as a follow up but also because I can now that I switched hard mode off! I admit that I did luck out for that with a 65 score from Wordle bot. This left me with only 5 possible solutions - CLING, FLING, ICING, LYING or VYING although I had only considered 4 and had not thought of the last word. I opted for CLING purely on the basis of letters C, L being most probable and got rewarded with a 3/6. Wordle bot gave me a luck score of 90 for choosing CLING which I thought was a bit harsh?

Anyway, it's only the 2nd time I've got a 3/6 so I'm well pleased with today's result. As some practice, I'm trying to solve all the Wordle archives from #0 and managed to find a website that allows me to try at: https://wordlearchive.com/. So far I've done the first 14 with 100% win rate and solved 2 of them in 3/6.

Aug 8, 2022
Update: Now completed the first #29 Wordles with average of 4.24 (100% win rate). What is considered a good average score? My thinking is anywhere between 3.5 and 4.0 would be good and between 3.0 and 3.5 very good. Thoughts please?
Also very happy as completed the individual #29 Wordle and got my first ever 2/6!!! I started with STARE which gave me a green A and 3 yellows for the T, R and E. Immediately REACT popped into my head so I had a punt holding my breath - it all went green... wowsers!

Aug 4, 2022
Wordle bot does not help solve the word, rather it is there as a learning AI after you have solved the word yourself! If you are a purist, you will want to know how to improve your own technique and Wordle bot analyses your answers to enable you to do exactly that. I suggest you spend some time learning what it is before condemning it out of hand entirely.
And yes, if you are a purist then using hard mode makes things more difficult for you - rather than taking the easy route of choosing entirely different letters. Challenge yourself! That's what Wordle is there for.

Written by the author:
“One other possibility was — you guessed it — GLEAN. This was the word that WordleBot suggested playing second in the ALIEN game, although it gave my choice of CLEAN exactly the same 99 skill rating. That game was fresh enough in my mind that I remembered WordleBot's advice and came this close to playing GLEAN second, but in the end decided to stick with CLEAN.
On the one hand, this was a fine choice again. As it did in game #413, this narrowed down my 51 options to just one, which I found without any hesitation on the third guess.
On the flip side, well, if I'd listened to WordleBot I would have scored a 2/6 here. That'll teach me. “

Tell me again that Wordlebot doesn‘t help….

Reactions: ahtugghur