TomTom Launches $100 iPhone Navigation App

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
this would be helpful for any iPhone users who may not have a GPS in the first place, but I don't think existing TomTom users would buy this to replace their existing units until those units get outdated throughout time.

jrsdav

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
$100 Is a little steep. It's not like you are paying for hardware+software. I'll be just fine with the built in method.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
My phone comes with a built in GPS, and it's pretty damn decent. Doesn't have all of the features of a TomTom though.

I'll also use the phone app, which I already do. No need to waste natural resources, money or time buying a second piece of hardware to do it. Especially since both can charge in the car too.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can shop around and buy a full blown GPS for about that price- hardware PLUS software. Garmin GPS software is available for a lot less than that too. Will this be sold through the iphone app store? I thought they had a limit on what software could sell for.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
There are a lot of GPSs out there that you can buy for $100. That includes software and hardware.

But hey, if you really need that multi-touch functionality, then go ahead and get the iPhone app. This is really nothing I would personally fork over another extra $100 for.

zirbmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I have a feeling the price will drop. I think that $100 is steep, but the early adopters will pay for it for the hands-free features. After a year, I think they'll drop the price considerably. The company's gotta make a profit for the cost of software engineering. Once people stop buying it, supply and demand will bring the price down.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Good idea, terrible price point.
If it works the same as their stand alone GPS units, I could see maybe $20.
$100 is a rip off.

What happens when you want to change to a new phone or cancel you cell contract?
Will it become unusable?
I would rather pay a little more and get dedicated GPS hardware that is not tied to a crappy phone/cell service.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Aren't there a million driving apps that use Google Maps by now?[/citation]
No because Apple canned any apps that provided turn by turn navigation. For OS 3.0, apple rescinded this, but still only approves the good quality nav apps.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]You can shop around and buy a full blown GPS for about that price- hardware PLUS software.citation]

Yeah, I got a navigo sat nav thingy for £42 including p&p (around $80 I think). Was great, until I dropped it :-(

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Ouch - I was excited about this until I saw the price - that's really steep for a software-only solution. 20-30$ seems a more appropriate price point given that this was a port of existing codebase that tomtom owns.

G

Well, considering that 30$ are for Apple (30% cut on all App store items) and that all latest maps (US+Europe) seemed included according to the article, the price could be considered normal.

I just checked the App store however and only the maps for Europe are already at 99€ (not $). Now that is a real rip-off...

G

Goes to show you the value of the the GPS hardware is about $30. The rest is in map generation and maintenance. Thanks for letting us know the marginal cost of production.

Status
Not open for further replies.