Solved! took hard drive out of laptop to boot using linux live system resuce now need to save files off hard drive and wipe it

May 15, 2019
Okay I took out my hard drive as I couldn't boot at all as my bios settings were grayed out
so now it boots off the disk and the disk now works with linux live system rescue.
how do can I gain access to my files that were on the hard drive and access windows again (admin account?)
is there something I need to do whilst on the system resuce to change bios?
I also want to wipe the drive can this how can this all be done?
Thank you all for your help

Solution
Not sure what the status of the disk is, you said "it now boots off the disk", so it is booting or not? Need a bit more details here as to what is working and what is not working.

If you are booted off a Linux boot disk and can see the drive you need to get files from, just attach a USB drive and copy the files from the drive with the issues.

Wiping the drive is easy, just format it using the Linux boot. If the drive is actually bad and you can't boot from it, you can simply destroy it and toss it.
Not sure what the status of the disk is, you said "it now boots off the disk", so it is booting or not? Need a bit more details here as to what is working and what is not working.

If you are booted off a Linux boot disk and can see the drive you need to get files from, just attach a USB drive and copy the files from the drive with the issues.

Wiping the drive is easy, just format it using the Linux boot. If the drive is actually bad and you can't boot from it, you can simply destroy it and toss it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS