Toshiba A660-BT3G25X, does it have the sandy bridge problem?

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I want to buy a customized Toshiba Satellite A660-BT3G25X (PSAW9U-05602H) with the following specs:

■Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.0GHz (2.90 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache
■Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
■Memory RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2)
■Hard Disk Drive:500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
■Graphics Controller: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology with 1GB GDDR3 memory
■Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc™ ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer drive
■Wireless LAN & Bluetooth®: Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n) with Bluetooth® v3.0 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)

and I read in a few threads that the i7-2630QM processor (sandy bridge architecture) may have problem with the motherboard or chip set found in the motherboard used by this laptop. Because of this potential problem, I wonder if it is safe to buy this laptop now. Has the infamous sandy bridge problem been resolved by Toshiba or other manufactures? I"d appreciate any input and/or comments to this post. I have this laptop ready to be purchased from toshibadirect.com, and it is just sitting in my basket waiting for me to hit the checkout button. I think it is very well price, for it will cost me about $1,375 including taxes and shipping. Thanks.

Hello orestesdd;

If it's a current model being sold by Toshiba it should have the revised motherboard Cougar Point chipset without the potentially problematic SATA III ports.
All models shipped before sales were halted should have been recalled and all models shipped after the sales halt have the fixed motherboards.

Since the Toshiba Satellite A660-BT3G25X is now being offered on the Toshiba website itself there is about zero percent chance of you getting a recalled part. You can double check your date of manufacture to make sure you got a B3 revision motherboard.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
One more question though, how do I know before buying online that the motherboard has now B3 revision motherboard? I know for sure that it takes 1-2 weeks to build the customized laptop, but I don't know if the "chat help" available at the toshibadirect.com will tell me or be informed about such things as the motherboard version in this laptop. I am very skeptical about everything a seller tells me, and this is why I place these questions here. Anyhow, I least I know what to ask before I hit that "checkout" button.

Thanks, WR2.

Who are you buying this from?
If it's a private party you might have reason to be concerned. They might have ignored the free replacement recall. But it's strange that someone would be selling a laptop only 3 or 4 months old?

From a reputable online retailer. They have a pretty fair rate of turnover in stock so it's unlikely a Jan 2011 mfgr'd model would still be sitting in the stockroom.

Realistically? You can't know. A private party might not know (or might outright lie to get rid of the laptop).
Even a high tech reputable brick and mortar store has teenage kids selling laptops on a 'wing and a prayer'. (apologies to those few who really know their business).

My advice is don't sweat it. You have about a zero chance of getting the bad part.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I am buying from "toshibadirect.com" and I just talked to the "help chat" who told me that this model will have the latest version. I then asked again if the latest version was the B3 version, and he/she affirmed it was. I do believe that this "toshibadirect.com" is really the authorized online retailer in the US for Toshiba. So I don't think I will be getting older model. Besides, this web site will take 1-2 weeks to build my customized model. I don't think I should have a problem with it. Thanks a lot for all your help.