Solved! Toshiba L305-5894

walleyetroller

Prominent
Mar 24, 2018
I tried to start my L305-5894 Toshiba laptop the other day and all I got was a black screen. I could hear the fan start when I pushed the on button but I got no post information on the screen and the light indicating the hard drive was operating was not flashing. I don't know why those 2 things are connected but that is what is happening. I tired connecting to another monitor with a VGA cable and got nothing on the other monitor either. I assume the motherboard needs to be replaced and that is my plan. All I can find is used motherboards for this laptop with the correct number. The board has a number etched into it 6050A2170401-MB-A03 and it also has a sticker with the PN V000138340.. Does anyone know if there is a cross reference board that will work in this laptop. ?

Solution
Before you go replacing parts, try the following options. This includes trying a different display again, but doing it in a specific way.

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is...
Before you go replacing parts, try the following options. This includes trying a different display again, but doing it in a specific way.

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution