Toshiba L305d-S5900 Black Screen

bdole75

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
I have tried everything I can think of with this thing. I've stripped it to the barebones, did a power drain, tried a reflow (heatgun) fix and nothing. As a last resort I ordered a new motherboard, and still the same thing. No devices are responding, no video, black screen and spinning fan. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? Please help.

Solution

I had the same problem (same Toshiba laptop) and solved it by removing one of the RAM chips. I don't know why it worked, but it did. I removed the topmost chip (2 GB) and it booted fine. Replaced that chip and back to black screen. Removed it once again and bingo...

bdole75

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I tried connecting to external monitor with no luck the monitor and cable is good, LCD screen is good, I tested it with another unit, and tried another Ccfl inverter with same result. Seriously stumped. I'm thinking I somehow managed to buy another bad mobo and returning it on Monday. Goodbye shipping costs...

jowhit67

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

I had the same problem (same Toshiba laptop) and solved it by removing one of the RAM chips. I don't know why it worked, but it did. I removed the topmost chip (2 GB) and it booted fine. Replaced that chip and back to black screen. Removed it once again and bingo, booted up fine. I'm thinking the chip socket is bad, since any chip placed in that socket will produce the black screen. Leaving it empty is the only way it will boot properly. Hope this helps someone else out!

Solution