Toshiba Laptop Black Screen After Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MareJ

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
I'm running Windows 8.

The black screen is happening after the logo appears so I know it's not the display that is broken. I plugged it in to my external monitor and everything works fine too, so probably not the HD?..right? lol No clue.

I've only tried taking the battery out and powering off. I went into F2, but I don't know what to do while there.

My mother said that it happened right after she installed windows updates. I've installed new drivers (I think), and there were 5 remaining updates in windows that I installed and it still goes black.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Tim

Madman9996

Estimable
May 17, 2014
This has happened also to my toshiba laptop when I installed the new update a couple of days ago. Try holding down the power button until it shuts down all the way then push it one more time to turn it back on.

MareJ

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014

That was the first thing I tried man, ty though. I've tried holding the power button for 30 seconds to drain what was in there and removing the battery.

I also just did this and nothing.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Disconnect every wire from it (including power)
3. Disconnect the battery from the bottom of the computer. There will be two tabs labeled 1 and 2.
4. Re-plug in the power wire. (the battery should not be in the computer)
5. Turn on the power. The screen will work. Choose start windows normally. (if you get that screen)
6. Go to Control Panel -> (Mobile PC) -> Power Options -> Under Balanced choose change plan settings
7. Choose Change advanced power settings
8. Find Processor power management and change the minimum processor state from 5% to 100% for each On battery and Plugged in.
9. Click Apply then OK
10. Shut down you computer.
11. Disconnect the power cord.
12. Re-install the battery on the bottom of the laptop, plug in the power cord, and restart the computer.

Madman9996

Estimable
May 17, 2014
When was the last time you sucsesfully used the laptop, because if it sits for that long it can rune some of the components inside and you might just need to take it to your local computer store they will figure it our for you.

Yuryk

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
I had more or less the same problem with my old Toshiba Satellite M35X laptop (Win XP). After long update late at night following unsuccessful stupid attempt to download Wireshark from a malicious site, in the morning
- computer booted OK up to the login screen
- after entering the authenticating the screen becomes blank and stays like that
- no F2 option worked to enter the setup
- all the above measures failed to fix the problem
What eventually helped was manual removing Vosteran and some other PUP from everywhere including registry. Actually, this could have been much easier done with the help of MalwareBytes (trial version).
Steps:
1. Disconnect power (cord and battery if laptop) after login
2. Start the computer, it should present several start up options on the black screen
3. Select Safe option with Networking
4. Open the browser and connect to http://www.malwarebytes.org
5. Download the trial version and run full scan
6. Quarantine all problematic entries (including the registry ones (I manually changed all malicious references there, so this is not tested)), and then remove them on the results page
7. Restart the computer - helped me :)

BruceMcBoy

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
I have this (or similar) with a Toshiba satellite laptop L50-B. Installed Win 10 Build_9926 with no issues. Installed the Win10 updates & black screen.

Workaround: Boot up (and get the black or close to screen). Close the lid. Laptop powers down. Open the lid and Win 10 comes to life.

Gabe Aul has posted it might be an AMD video driver issue. Toshiba will not engage yet as they understandably not supporting a beta OS. Anyone got any ideas?

GAPeach1

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

THANK YOU!!! The black screen problem resolved installing Windows 10 on my Toshiba Satellite L775-S7240 laptop. Just like you stated - I simply needed to close the lid and open it back up and Windows 10 started with no issues. I thought I had to reset my computer.

To ensure everything was good to go after Windows 10 started, I shut down the laptop and powered it back on with no issues.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...my issue with the "blank screen" occurs about ten minutes or so after the system has successfully booted up. I tried several of the suggested solutions, and none have worked. This began just about a week ago . I have monitored the CPU, Graphics chipset and, HDD and none are exceeding temperature limits. I no longer use this system for travelling so this couldn't be due to any excessive shock the system received. It is really frustrating as my workstation is not intended for heavy Net use.

System: Satellite M115 32 bit Duo core Intel CPU and M945 graphics chipset, Win XP SP2, 4GB memory 320 GB HDD (99 GB free). Single user no logon needed, boots directly to the XP desktop.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...question, how is a notebook supposed to start up if both the battery and power cord are disconnected?

cymrok2

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
ive just had same problem screen goes blank on boot ,, installed new hd new win7,plugged into hdmi VGA work fine but no notebook monitor ..i will see bios boot and thats it when windows trys to boot goes blank just black screen , ive tried every way but loose ,, and came across this post ,, changing power options in control panel worked like a treat ,, ive rebooted the laptop several times from shutdown and restart and both work. connect to external hdmi or vga change power settings or go into safe mode by pressing F8 before windows boot and change settings ,This only worked for me with different monitor ,, it worked for me ... hope this helps

trevor_chdwck

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
Download the "ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.30 for Satellite L770/L775" (if that is your model) or the most updated BIOS you can find for your model. I was having the same issues, but this resolved it for me!

ECRepair

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

This worked for me on a Toshiba C675-S7200

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2018

Thank you. Flashing my BIOS (even with a version from 2012) did fix my black screen problem (Satellite C670).
The only other way I found before doing that was to use the F3 key to put the laptop on sleep mode then press the power button to wake it up.

E.

Status
Not open for further replies.