toshiba laptop keyboard failure after 5/15 update

willmitch

Estimable
May 25, 2015
keyboard and touchpad do not work after May 2015 Windows update. They work again after system restore to before update. Screen keyboard unaffected. Toshiba says problem with corrupted file(s) caused by Windows update, willing to fix for $100 subscription. Seems like a con.

Suggestions, other than turn off automatic update?

Solution
is this the only solution? System restore ?

Go ahead and disable automatic updates, I make a point of doing that first thing after installing Windows on all computers I deal with.
Run a good firewall & antivirus/antispyware package & you'll be fine.

If you need an update or some other download from Microsoft, do it manually by visiting their downloads centre:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/

Saving Grace

Estimable
May 25, 2015
is this the only solution? System restore ?

Solution

BLLL

Estimable
May 25, 2015
Having the same exact problem and Toshiba was going to charge me the same. They told me it was something in the registry and had been getting calls all day. Windows online chat guy, who looked about 15 years old, said it was corrupted driver and no bugs in Windows update, although I had uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a million times. System restore works for a few hours but then it gets disabled again, although I've turned off everything in Windows updates that I can find. It has me in tears because I can't work and am going to miss a deadline because of this.

willmitch

Estimable
May 25, 2015

The Bust Buy guy told me it was a compatibility problem with the Microsoft update. He suggested rolling back the update, turning off auto updates and waiting until I hear that Microsoft has gotten around to patching a fix.

That is what I am going to do.

Tennisjoe

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
this was a SERIOUS pain in the butt for me....on May 21, I got HIT BY A CAR, so on May 22 I was desperately using my computer to coordinate care and the like....then the morning of Saturday May 2, turn on the computer....AND NO KEYBOARD CONTROL!!

Thanks, Microsoft! Keep on screwing us!!!

So thanks to the net, figured out the "windows update" issue that was causing it...so what is the solution NOW? At some point, we need to have Windows updates on our machines, so how to overcome this idiotic issue??