Toshiba laptop P75 no longer recognizes second hard drive

rjsargent5x5

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
My Satellite P75-A7200 computer can no longer see the second hard drive. I suspect it is the connector or the solder joints, but have no evidence other than everything else continues to work.

I considered just replacing the motherboard, but even just buying the part is 50% of what I paid for the thing. (With no explanation of why so pricey. Includes the CPU???)

Any suggestions for diagnosing the problem, repairing just the problem, or replacing the motherboard with an affordable part would be appreciated.

Thanks!

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there rjsargent5x5,

Have you checked Disk Management, BIOS?
There could be something wrong with the HDD itself. Have you tried attaching it to another system? Or you can just swap the drive in your laptop and see whether it is properly recognized by BIOS.

D_Know_WD

rjsargent5x5

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

The drive is known good. It works in a separate computer and in an external drive caddy. It doesn't work *any more* when connected via the mother board. It has been in service for nearly two years. I did not change any BIOS settings, in fact, I don't think this BIOS allows you to change anything related to the disks.

What tool is this "Disk Management" you cite?

rjsargent5x5

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

As I expected, Disk Management had nothing for the drive. So, back to my original question, I guess.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
As the drive is not recognized by Disk Management, then I guess that is not recognized by BIOS as well. Given the fact that it works fine with a caddy, most probably, there is something wrong with the port. My advice would be to contact a repair shop.

D_Know_WD

Lancecontreras

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hi I have a toshiba p75-a7100 i installed the 2nd hdd then ran windows update. I'm using windows 10 by the way. After the updates i can now see the ssd in my disk management and can initialize it.