Toshiba laptop screen black when powered on.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fugsignup

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I have a Toshiba Satellite L675D S7016 laptop and the screen stopped turning on.

I shut the laptop lid putting it into hibernation as I usually do, then upon reopening at a later time, the screen wouldn't show up. After turning it off and back on, it still wouldn't turn on.

Things I have tried:
--Removing power source and battery and holding the power button for 30-120 seconds.
--Manipulating the 2 RAM sticks into different slots.
--Attempted to see if the screen was on by shining a flashlight on the screen while turned on (couldn't see anything).
--Attempted to cycle to the proper video source using Fn-F5 (no luck with the laptop screen or an external one).
--Pressed F2 repeatedly on load, no luck.
--Tilting the screen back and forth looking for flashing, none.

I even pulled the hard drive out and put it back in, no source suggested it, but it was easy enough and I just tried.

There are 6 lights on the front, the battery comes on when the battery is in, the power source one comes on when plugged in, and the power on light comes when it's turned on. The ones that don't come on are the internet connection light, the screen light, and one light that I'm not familiar with (looks like a cylinder).

I've probably tried other things or forgot to mention some stuff, so ask away please.

Austin1959

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015

Austin1959

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015

The same CMOS problem can also fry the sound drivers, so asking about sounds is irrelevant. The key is to force a hard reset of the CMOS. The 30 seconds hold of the power key forces the hard restart but does not fully discharge everything. You have to repeat the process (without batteries) to drain all residual power. In my case, I also swapped the two memory cards which also reminded the CMOS that hardware was changed so it took an extra step on the boot to look around.

To repeat my solution, after pressing the power button for 30 seconds, repeat the cycle to ensure all power is drained when it attempts to wake up. Switching the order of the memory cards may *(or may not) give the computer extra incentive to boot in safe mode. When it does, let it scan and re-orient itself to find the video drivers.

In my case, the link to the audio drivers were fried also. So, people asking about sound have never experienced the problem asked by this thread as sound is irrelevant to the CMOS problem.

APJM57

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
I have a Toshiba Satellite pro L300D which stopped booting, just black screen an no activity after an initial 'reset' of the CD drive. Finally I left it running on battery only until the battery was exausted , then plugged into the mains and up it booted.