Toshiba Laptop Will Not Boot With Replacement Batteries

cschuler14

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Toshiba laptop will not boot with replacement batteries installed. I have found this problem in several posts here, but none of the proposed solutions have worked for me. I have a Toshiba Satellite S75-B7394 with original battery PA5109U-1BRS. I cannot buy an OEM battery with the same part number from Toshiba's support website - it appears they no longer sell the battery.

I have tried 3 non-OEM batteries and one Toshiba battery (part number PA5024U-1BRS) with the same results. I have tried every combination of removing the AC adapter, removing the battery, holding down the power button (up to 1 minute), replacing the battery...it does not help. I tried installing the battery with the laptop running, I have uninstalled the battery and AC adapter drivers in windows, I made sure I have the most recent BIOS, and I have even tried removing the CMOS battery. Nothing works.

When I put the old battery in, which will no longer hold a charge, everything is fine. It seems like the BIOS is looking for a specific part number (evidence of this is in the notes of one of the BIOS updates which says they added support for high capacity battery PA5011-1BRS). So here I am with a laptop that is only a few years old and I cannot replace the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I bought this laptop when windows 8.1 was out - I got the one with windows 7 professional to avoid windows 8 so i know the BIOS is in legacy mode. I tried replacing the battery with the BIOS in UEFI mode (without repartitioning the hard drive) - that did not work either.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 2
W Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 2
G Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 4
M Laptop Tech Support 5
C Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1