Toshiba Laptop won't boot with any replacement battery

rickwm

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I have a Toshiba laptop model S70-BBT2N23 which I purchased last April. The laptop works fine with no problems.

I decided to buy an extra battery to use as a backup. When I installed the battery, the computer would not boot up, even with the AC plugged in. If I remove the battery or put the original battery back in, all works fine. I initially thought this was a battery problem, so I exchanged the battery for a replacement and got the same result. These were aftermarket batteries, so I then bought a Toshiba branded battery which appeared to be exactly the same as the original battery - and I again got the same result. In every case, the laptop will not boot up with the replacement battery and just flashes the power light, even with the AC plugged in. Put the original battery in (with or without AC) or just run on AC and all works fine.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Have you tried contacting Toshiba Support about this concern because it's more on a problem with the laptop itself. The only troubleshooting step you can do at this point is to uninstall/reinstall the "microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" from Device Manager and if that will still not work I would suggest contacting Toshiba for a repair if it's still covered by the 1 yr limited warranty. Do also try installing the latest BIOS version that you can download from Toshiba's Support site if you haven't done that yet.

Here's the link for the latest BIOS and the tutorial on how to install it.
http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200008452

rickwm

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Thanks, I actually did reinstall the BIOS, and it didn't make any difference. I also tried the uninstall/re-install of the ACPI compliant driver, and that didn't help either. One thing I was gping to try was uninstalling the ACPI compliant driver and leaving it uninstalled, but it apparently reinstalls itself automatically the next time you boot.

rickwm

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Yes and no. I never did find any aftermarket replacement battery that works in the laptop. But I did find the exact same Toshiba branded battery, and it worked fine. In fact, I purchased multiple Toshiba branded batteries, and they all work fine. My conclusion from this is that the one Toshiba branded battery I tried previously must have just been bad.

I have still not found any generic non-OEM batteries that work. But as long as I can find real Toshiba OEM batteries at a reasonable cost, I don't really have a problem.

Mar 28, 2018
Sorry to Hijack your thread but did you ever end up resolving this? I have exactly the same model doing the same thing and have a brand new battery and motherboard. The battery is supposed to be 10.8v however I did notice it sitting at 11.4V. I hooked up a dc fan to it and Im currently trying to discharge it as Im thinking it may be over voltage but was hoping you may have heard of a solution

Mar 28, 2018

You don't happen to know the exact model battery you purchased? Ill probably have to do the same

rickwm

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

The replacement Toshiba batteries I bought are marked 11.1 volts and they seem to work fine. The original Toshiba battery that I am replacing is marked 10.8 volts. They all work fine. I don't remember what the voltage was on the aftermarket batteries that I bought that didn't work.