Toshiba laptop won't boot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxvegexxx

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
My laptop won't boot: lights are on, the fan is spinning but the screen is always black.
I've tried both removing the power and pressing the power button for 1 min and replacing the CMOS battery with a new one. Is there something else I can try or is the mobo gone?

Solution

Yes, something on the motherboard is defective, you will paid between US$75 and US$150 for the motherboard depending where it come from, without the cost of the shipping.

xxxvegexxx

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I get it but how can I access the BIOS if when I power the laptop the screen stays black as nothing happened? Are there any key I should press?

xxxvegexxx

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Do you think that the mobo failed and if yes how much would a new mobo for this laptop cost?

Yes, something on the motherboard is defective, you will paid between US$75 and US$150 for the motherboard depending where it come from, without the cost of the shipping.

Solution

Jewels27777777

Estimable
May 16, 2014

i don't have a solution for you but when researching the same topic, i found that i would have to disagree with the battery removal or assumption of defective motherboard. for two reasons: 1, i know a thing or two about computers not amateur and not genius, taught computers in college for living 2. the problem appears to be first toshiba, then satellite. Toshiba owners consistently talk about their boot problems with HDD and most report similar bios mishaps. the same goes for usb for toshiba. only very specific, not borrowed product key bootable disks are going to work, not your average microsoft bootable usb will and even if you get the write bootable usb for the toshiba, a borrowed product key gum up the works there.lastly from what i've read the toshiba satellite specifically does not come with an ODD that is accepted to use for a toshiba bootable..so, many just change out there ODD to one of the approved list models. i still don't have a solution myself but i do believe your problems stemmed from make and model of laptop. otherwise, everything other suggestion you were given would be typical for other laptops and would likely fix problem.had to poke my nose in, sorry.

Hi Jewels, "had to poke my nose in, sorry. " don't be sorry, every good point of view are welcome. If a laptop can't go in the BIOS, I don't think the problem could be the HDD or the ODD or some bootable USB key if they are not used even if this is a Toshiba. The problem must be a defective component on the motherboard itself, don't you agree?

CryptoMeth

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
I see the typical boot screen, but can't access the bios or the the operating system. This happened for me after trying the system re-install method contained on the hard-drive.. All I see is the TOSHIBA boot screen, but none of the buttons help me get into bios, or boot from the hdd... I'm trying a fresh System install from the Toshiba recovery that is installed on the hdd. The recovery stopped at the "installing applications" phase, and asked to reboot.... Now all I get is the Toshiba screen, and I can't do anything from there.

regalbegal78

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
Did you ever figure out what the issue is? I am having the same issue with my CZ-17. I have to keep cycling the power until it finally boots up. It usually takes 15-20mins of hard shutdowns/restarts before it actually boots.

Aug 5, 2015
I've got a Toshiba Satellite L850D that is having the same issue.... Won't load, only shows black screen, after Toshiba logo initial load screen.

Ive had this situation occur several times in the past when restarting but typically all I'd need to do was long press the power button and let it settle for a few moments before turning it back on as normal. Worst case scenario I'd have to repeat that once or twice.

Today best I can do is get to the advanced options blue screen.

Consuelo_1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Rick_10

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015

Hi,
My Toshiba is a p755 s5387 model. I get to the aptio setup utility and I don't know what to do next. I just inserted a new hdd hard drive since my other one failed.

CaptAndy67

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016

I have a Sat Pro C50-A... Get black screen at start up.. doesn't show Toshiba screen, but when it does it will boot up.. Was thinking it may be RAM or HDD but now after reading all above I feel it may be more terminal...

All I can do is leave it on & pray it boots up...

MrDrProfessor

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
Hey mate, this is probably long forgotten but for anyone else who stumbles upon this article. i had the same problem with my toshiba for about 4 hours. I decided to remove every input device including the disk drive and keyboard... and it booted. so just be patient and keep trying :)

Loy Lum

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015

pnpcrazyfool

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Research how to re-flow your motherboard. Since you've tried everything else... before spending money on new parts, heat up your motherboard to about 400 degrees. Remove batteries / HD / plastic casing / etc. Some people seriously put them in an oven and it works. I use a nice heat gun & surface temp gun, evenly heat up board to about 250, then concentrate on the GPU area of the board. Get the GPU solder pins to 400 degrees F. Then let it cool off and reassemble. I usually have to blow 1,100 degree air a couple inches away to get the board to 400 degrees.

Youtube it. It's a last resort. I've had success with it, but it doesn't always work.

I know this is VERY common in HP laptops. I've seen a few of the Pavilion Dv7's that this repair fixed em.

Edit: Don't hold the hot air in 1 spot, keep it moving, don't heat it up TOO quickly, and don't blow capacitors!

guyfromminnesota

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Thanks to "pnpcrazyfool"..Your suggestion worked for my Toshiba Laptop.

I live in Minnesota and it is crazy cold here.My laptop stopped working 2 weeks ago. I tried all the steps I could find in the internet. Finally I took it to the computer hardware guy. He also gave up.

And then I stumbled upon your suggestion to "heat the motherboard". I just kept my laptop on one of the heat air vent for few mins and kept pressing the "Power" button. In few mins my laptop booted up..

Thanks again.

Vinod

Utopian

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

Just wanna second the fact that this crazy heating thing worked... I tried everything else stated above for my Sony vaio. I just used a plug in heater for about 15 min. And bam started up. Idk how it is for other people. But for me whilst fixing computers, it's never the easy solution.. crazy how its always the one random post u see where its like this might work... Anyways thank you!!

GailS

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.