Toshiba laptop won't boot.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxvegexxx

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
My laptop won't boot: lights are on, the fan is spinning but the screen is always black.
I've tried both removing the power and pressing the power button for 1 min and replacing the CMOS battery with a new one. Is there something else I can try or is the mobo gone?

Solution

Yes, something on the motherboard is defective, you will paid between US$75 and US$150 for the motherboard depending where it come from, without the cost of the shipping.

GailS

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
Like Vinod, I just stumbled across this answer about heating the motherboard, so set the machine on top of the floor heat duct for only about two minutes then hit the power button. On it came! Cannot believe it. I tried about a dozen times powering on and off and removing the battery and power cable, etc. Nothing worked until I did what you said and set it on the heat. Who would have known that???? LOL Thanks!

Ali Ersin Gercek

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
I fix this problem like this.
It will be normal boot mode, Unplug everything external media (USB-WIFI-WIRELESS MOUSE-WIRELESS KEYBORD ETC.)
Restart your laptop and press f2 to boot.
Select advenced to change it to fast boot the save and exit (f10)
Thats all

GailS

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015

Hussein_2

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016

i had a toshiba c855D-S5100 that i took apart bought a new motherboard from another model with cpu(AMD A8-3530MX socket FS1) every thing went smoothly but when i turned it on. i had the led the fan no WLAN led and no boot menu. reading through some forms i found that the problems comes from a defective motherboard so i'm sending it back to see what happen

GailS

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015

GailS

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
Hi there - motherboards are normally not compatible from one machine to another, regardless if they are the same manufacturer or not. I hope you have luck in returning the one you bought,

Kris Patel

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
I would suggest the issue be with ram. The issue I have had 3 times now was where the PC Light (eg power light) would be on, but nothing would ever show on the display (no splash boot screen or anything) and the HDD light would also never turn on. This is a failure to POST and POST checking occurs before the LCD is even powered on in a laptop. For example if anything at all is going to be displayed in the LCD you need( A: Ram to hold the files for what is about to be displayed,B:A processor to convert it into Pixel Data and a GPU but this is irrelvent in most laptops as the GPU is inside the CPU)

The issue I described above was solved by removing and reinserting my ram, whilst adding a little more force than normal. Mine has a tendancy to slide out its socket as I have discovered.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/POST-Power-On-Self-Test

Pipican

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

are u serious man? If its not a joke im gonna try it now?

Hussein_2

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016

i solved my problem the cpu wasn't compatible the motherboard only recognize FS1r2 socket AMD trinity architecture i change it and now everything is fine. i found the proper cause of this problem is 1/a bad ram 2/ the bios is dead 3/ the cpu is dead but it's really not likely hope this help out

Sparty423

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

It absolutely works dude!

Kenneth_29

Commendable
May 28, 2016

I agree Patel, the RAM stick was loose and just adding a soft pad to press the memory stick inward solved my problem and now my Satelite C50-A145.... Is working again.
Thanks for the post.

Kenneth_29

Commendable
May 28, 2016

whiscard

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Had the same issue the toshiba satellite wasn't booting... screen was just blank pointing to an issue with POST.

Solution was to switch the RAM from the first bay to the second RAM bay and it worked.
Seems the first RAM bay was faulty, I confirmed this by switching the RAM stick back to the first RAM bay and the laptop failed to boot.

Cheryl_26

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

Kimberly_20

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

Did you ever figure it out? Because my laptop is doing the exact same thing.

Cheryl_26

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.