Toshiba laptop won't boot.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxvegexxx

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
My laptop won't boot: lights are on, the fan is spinning but the screen is always black.
I've tried both removing the power and pressing the power button for 1 min and replacing the CMOS battery with a new one. Is there something else I can try or is the mobo gone?

Solution

Yes, something on the motherboard is defective, you will paid between US$75 and US$150 for the motherboard depending where it come from, without the cost of the shipping.

AnnieABC

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

G'day mate :)
I have a weird problem with a satellite L500D.
when I put a new HD in it....it makes the worst sound like the HD is screaming!!??
I put an old HD in it but it won't boot?
I run the HD through A usb cable and it's trying to boot But as soon as I put the HD back in to the
laptop it either start constantly beeping or it sound like the HD is about to self destruct!! & won't boot. Any idea please mate...I haven't come across this problem before????

AnnieABC

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

AnnieABC

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
MrDrProfessor
I also for to mention that when I put the HD back into the laptop if it does do any of the above it just shuts straight down as so as I try to boot it up. Take the hard drive out and it try's to boot up?????
THIS is Driving me CRAZY!!!! any ideas AT ALL MATE???

George_118

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
believe it or not I have over 35 years in IT, Cisco, cabletron 25 WAN, hundreds of LAN, thousands of end users.. I have a Toshiba Satellite probably 3 years old, very slow, however this morning I hit the power switch .. 2 beeps and it shut off.. this went on for 5 hours.. I thought it was fried.. some one mentioned hitting esc, holding down "0" Taking battery out, holding power button for 60 seconds. Then someone mentioned just tapping power button quickly .. it came right up. What I was doing was holding the power button too long.. it started and probably thought I was also shutting it off.

Laptop is still slow but working fine.. Good luck. I hate these computers.

El Guapo

Benonymous

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hi All, this thread was the most useful out of all the ones I visited. ppcrazyfool suggested reflowing the mainboard with a a lot of heat which sounded a bit drastic. I chose a less severe method of heating. I used the little reset button under the PC to make sure it was definitely not in the zombie mode that it had been in and then placed it on top of an oil column heater for around 20 minutes. I checked on it periodically to make sure the heat wasn't damaging the case. After many unsuccessful reboots and resets, after heating the machine I got past the blank screen (post Toshiba splash screen) and got into recovery mode. The PC invoked this, I didn't hit any "F" keys or anything. As we speak, it's carrying out a refresh and progressing steadily.

Cheri_4

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Mine does the issue every day or every other day, it varies. Some days, I have to unplug the power supply then open the lid to get it to even boot. When it does the black screen, the touchscreen on my Toshiba Satellite flickers violently very dimly. I push the power button, holding it until it turns off. Sometimes when I push it to turn it back on, it doesn't boot back up. The lights are on, including the caps lock for some reason and fan is on but no one is home, basically.

I've done the taking the battery out and waiting about 5 minutes, then replacing it. It turns it back on then I have to reset the time and date on the system. I got this laptop back in January 2016 and I'm just wondering if it has to do with all the newer Toshiba Satellite laptops. I had one back in 2013 and it never did this mess. I've also bought a new power cord and a new battery and yet, same thing every couple of days. I'm not aggravated by the occurrence of it, but I'm getting tired of having to do the same routine almost every day. Almost on the verge of buying another laptop since I use this one for work as well as gaming.

Just wondering if it's the computers in general. It is a Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-C Touch Screen with Windows 10.

Dejan_1

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Ali Ersin Gercek February 6, 2016 3:33:35 PM
I fix this problem like this.
It will be normal boot mode, Unplug everything external media (USB-WIFI-WIRELESS MOUSE-WIRELESS KEYBORD ETC.)
Restart your laptop and press f2 to boot.
Select advenced to change it to fast boot the save and exit (f10)
Thats all

Thank you mate! I did how you said. My usb was plugged and couldn't opet boot menu. After I had saw your post, I unplugged usb and opened boot menu with F2.

ZachBull

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
So my 7 year old Toshiba Satelite (don't have model right now) was acting crazy for a while. It wouldn't go to sleep when I closed it. When it wouldn't, i would open it back up and it would just stall. wouldn't boot, wouldn't allow e to shut down, nothing. I did end up with a hard shut down. Now it wont boot at all. The fan is turning but thats it. No display at all. Ive removed battery, RAM, plugged into another display, etc. It won't turn off either; no matter how long I hold the power button down. I fear my MOBO is toast... Help!

cmmt3467

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
My problem with my PA3489u-1MPC is that
when I plug it in and push the power button, it will flash the power light intermiting on and off. when the light is lite briefly the fan kicks in and off when the power light goes out showing no power... what would be the cause of the on and off with the power... battery and all other devices have been removed and still does the same... once in a while it sounds like the disc drive wants to kick in and the light stays lit for a few seconds and shuts back down.... please help

Digma_

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Is more likely your laptop overheated and lost some soldering connections on the motherboard. Trying to start and turns off, that sounds like a cold start.. put your laptop close to a heater for about an hour, and try again. If no change, forget about it ,buy another one. Another think you can try / If the fan and power lights work, than leave the laptop on for about 2/3 hours, turn it off an than on.

Jeff_pepin

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
Im electronic Tech and i will explain this heating trick for you all .. its pretty simple , and logic ,

We Live in a world and times come that People Want their Electronics More Fast , , More Slim and Light Weight , And at a Maximum Low Cost Possible ,
Manufacturers Dont HAve other choice To Cut in Their Architectures EX: more slim HeatSinks , And They , Since approx 10 years Use LEAD FREE SOLDER as a production Standart ,

to be sure that you will understand the mechanic of theses situation think about an house foundation . when each Season change theses Foundation suffer from Stress , and the ground Move and twist and eventualy that will cause a lot of cracks in house wall ,

moderns laptops are exactly the same as an house , you can consider that ''seasons '' are When the laptop is cold and you boot it up , Then the CPU/GPU /Chipset became Hot , then you shutdown your laptop , and it become Cold , this result as ''Motherboard Stress'' TWisting like House ground and applying tension on parts soldered onto .

Same things Day after day , Weeks after week , and without any advice BAM , the day that your laptop no longer boot has come. , one of the 250 Solder Point under GPU/CPU have Cracked and this result as a non functionnal motherboard Sometime and MOST of times , it Can be caused Too by a non Cleaned Heatsink and the CPU/GPU have Overheated ,

. in these times the only way to fix this is to Resolder The CPU/GPU.. but , they have no other technique to do that exept by REFLOWING it , , A good thing its manufacturers use a lot of surface mounted parts , and Motherboards/All kinds of connectors /HArddrive Sockets , and in resuming ALL PARTS on a motherboard Resist At anHiger Temperature Than Solder used , So in Fact Cooking the motherboard in a conventional Oven after MAke sure that is NO DIRECT RADIANT HEAT at a specific Temperature and at a specific Time Will Resolder ALL parts on the board Including the one that have CRacked ,, and most of time Give a second life to your machine

for those that have only Put it on a Heat plate , and think your computer is Repaired , you have only Temporary Fixed it because the solder have Expended a litle bit , but for sure its will not last long time ,

Its pretty Simple to do , if you are resourceful but it require a minimum of Skills and knowledge in laptop disassembling ,

Hope that will help !

nuttybuddy

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016

So when do you throw your hands down and heat? I've read this entire post, there are a few things I haven't tried, I took screen shots, but the heat thing makes lots of sense

notechpro

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.