Toshiba p100 st9612--no lcd--no os--how to recover???

shaman427

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have this toshiba p100-st9612 that used to be my main lappy until the LCD started to go out. I tried many things but finally gave up and bough the gateway fx 7805u, couldn't be happier... Well i would like to still use the toshiba but it only worked on external monitor. I wish it was this simple... Here it is where its gets more complicated. I used the hard drive from toshiba for a while on my gateway as the secondary HD, so I erased the OS from there. I backed up a ghost copy of it, of course. Unfortunately I accidentally erased that copy so now I have this big problem. I have: a laptop with broken screen that works on external monitor only, HD with no OS, toshiba recovery CD but bios not set to boot from cd, windows 7 CD, and no ideas how to install it. How could I get around that to be finally able to send video to external? Any help would be appreciated. I do not want buy a new LCD just use my external one, and also have no access to an LCD I could use to get things working.

Thanksshaman427@comcast.net

shaman427

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

Well that is what i did but it does not seem to send the signal to the external monitor, so I cannot see the bios screen.

shaman427

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
is there any way of installing the image from the toshiba recovery cd onto the drive using an external enclosure?

shaman427

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
thanks frozenlead, but the function buttons usually do not work until OS/drivers load (hope I am right). yeah its a Fn+F5.

Also I know it works on external once it loads OS since I had it like that for a month or so before I picked up the new lappy. Once its loaded then I do Fn+F5 3x to cycle to the right output, and voila. Then it remembers that so every time after that it boots straight to external.

I really hope that somehow I can take the image that is on the recovery CD and install it on the drive put it back in and load the damn os and go from there.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Your Fn+ commands are actually hard wired to your motherboard on most models - they don't require an OS to function. This is why drastically different OSs (linux vs. windows) won't require specific motherboard drivers to do simple things like change the volume or screen brightness, and why you can disable your LCD even though you're just in the BIOS. That being said, it's not for all notebooks, but the vast majority I've seen do.

You don't need a recovery CD. Some downloaded drivers and an OEM windows disk will do the job just fine.

shaman427

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
yeah I remember my toshiba being weird. I had to wait to load the OS to toggle and put signal out. Another funny thing is that they did not give me a Windows CD go figure. All I have is the f-ing recovery disc. Well i hope that I can do something here. Wish I never deleted that Ghost image I made. damn. sorry frustrated here

G

I had a problem with my p100 (OS didn't load and only a black screen was shown) and it did last several months but here is how i resolved it.

First find Boot and nuke program and install to a Disc (using nero and make sure you mount it properly, instructions given) to wipe all your HDD. Then run Windows or Ubuntu (Linux) from disc and select VGA basis's from the extra's menu which both have in the safe mode or install extra menu. I used another screen to view this all and then got on the internet to download the new Nvidia driver (or update wizard on Ubuntu) and boom the computer worked again. The latest version for the Nvidia monitor driver software is either the 180 or i think 172 version. Then restart.

Hope this helps because I found no help for mine.

Jase LMU graduate

G

I had a problem with my p100 (OS didn't load and only a black screen was shown) and it did last several months but here is how i resolved it.

First find Boot and nuke program and install to a Disc (using nero and make sure you mount it properly, instructions given) to wipe all your HDD. Then run Windows or Ubuntu (Linux) from disc and select VGA basis's from the extra's menu which both have in the safe mode or install extra menu. I used another screen to view this all and then got on the internet to download the new Nvidia driver (or update wizard on Ubuntu) and boom the computer worked again. The latest version for the Nvidia monitor driver software is either the 180 or i think 172 version. Then restart.

Hope this helps because I found no help for mine.

Jase LMU graduate

G

hey i have the same problem with my sony vaio tz series. The lcd screen is completly removed since it broke. I had been using the external monitor through the vga and it would show only when the windows once it was loaded. I had been using it like that for several days. Now the problem i have is the laptop somehow doesnt seem to boot or load windows now n i cant see the bios. I tried pressing f10 for revoery but i cant see nothing either. Is there a way i can see the recovery utillty. Also the laptop is trying to read the dvd drive. If i get the recovery disc how will i be able to install a new copy of windows. Will i be able to see nething if i load the disc in dvd drive.

JASE you mentioned selecting VGA basis from the extra's menu????? what are you talkin bout here can u explain this thanks in advance