Toshiba recovery discs? (For looping restart problem.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Here's the situation: my wife's laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3292, isn't able to boot into Windows XP. I think the XP install is toast since it won't stop rebooting when it tries to launch Windows, whether she tries to boot up normally, go into Safe Mode, or use Last Known Good Configuration.

I was thinking of biting the bullet and wiping out her entire system (which she doesn't really want to do) using the recovery disc. Except, she's lost the recovery disc.

So does anyone know where I can order a new recovery disc? If it's on Toshiba's web site, I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
A lot of recovery disks are an image of the machine, which means they only work on that machine. Probably will have to suck it up and get a copy of XP OEM, $89 at newegg. You'll have to download the drivers from Toshiba and copy them to a CD

Killah_Kal88

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
What you can do is borrow a windows XP disc from someone and use it to install. As long as you have your cd key (sticker on the back of the lappy) and you are not using a volume disc xp disc, you should be able to reinstall the OS.

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006

Actually, that's more or less what I did. :)

fundillo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I have the same ... exact problem. I had a computer repair business and I only do friends machines now, but this happens a lot with XP HOME edition.
... on DELL, HP, Toshiba, Fry's laptops, etc.

It never happens with XP professional that I have seen, just the images that are specially made for these commercial machines.

I have a theory ... maybe running the recovery process for the oem XP home edition might work... I have never tried it. I'm going to try it tonight.

I don't think that this can be called a virus, but I think that it is most likely related to a virus that writes to some area of the windows OS/ or registry.

Maybe it's a program that is placed in the registry under localmachine/software/microsoft/system/runonce/bad.exe and the bad.exe caused a BSOD. I'm not sure, but this would cause the same symptom.

Anyway, it causes a reboot and you might notice a bluescreen (bsod) right before it reboots. There are a lot of programs for sale that claim to be able to fix this... I doubt it, I downloaded one of this hacks and it was a waste of money.

Is the problem a MS-OS problem? hmmm this is a distinct possiblility, MS would never claim up to it if it was, or would they...?

ok, I'll try tonight but don't count your chickens.

G

I was told to go to call toshiba and order one when my daughter's laptop when bonkers. Hers wouldn't even come on. But nonetheless, best buy and their geek squad told me to call toshiba and request a free copy of this. Disk repair and recovery. Hope this helps.

G

Hi, I have the same problem with my computer and I was wondering how you fixed it. Thanks. Please email me ***
Appreciate it.

* Do not ask for e-mails in the forum! :non: * - TGGA

MikeTheUberGeek

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Robert, I got the recovery set for my Toshiba Satellite M55 from this place:

http://www.digitalmedia-labs.com/index.html

They worked like a charm for mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.