Toshiba Satellite A100 won't power up

Adam0501

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
I replaced the charger for my toshiba A100 after the old one died - no voltage (15V, 5A). It's been powered down for a couple of weeks and now won't start up with the new charger. None of the LED/power button lights are on. Removed and re-installed the battery, RAM slots, HD disk - nothing helped.

I also taken the battery out, disconnected it from the power adapter, held down the power button for 30 seconds and then placed the battery back in and the power adapter and tried powering it on without success.

Hi,

Have you tested the new AC adapter if it's also supplying enough voltage? Did you replaced the AC adapter because it was no longer working or was the laptop still booting up back then? The issue may lie on the motherboard because there's no light indicator on your laptop even though your replaced it with a new one.

Adam0501

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
Thanks for the reply, the old AC adapter cord was stretching a bit last time I used it with the laptop, then I suddenly lost the external power and the laptop went to sleep after 10-20 minutes, when the battery was getting low and eventually shut off. When I checked the voltage on the adapter jack there was 0 V. A couple of weeks after I got the replacement adapter, which is giving required 15-16V measured on the jack.

I thought simple re-placement of the adapter should fix the problem, but laptop has been down for two weeks now. Since none of the LED lights are on, I suspect there might be also damage to AC plug on the laptop (seems to be OK from the outside). Also when checking the pins for the battery on the laptop with battery removed and AC plugged in I am getting some voltage on one of the pins (~5V)....