klzthe13th

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
Hello Guys,

I am getting ready to buy a new laptop, so I decided to fix some kinks here and there on my current one to give to my mother. I own a Toshiba Satellite L775D - S7345.

The problem is my audio port. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's, and the 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter it came with (looked like this) messed up both my phone and my laptop audio ports. I got a new one after about a week of use, but the damage had been done to both of those devices. Luckily, I got a free replacement for my phone, but I did not get so lucky with my laptop. The audio port works, but only if you place it in perfectly straight. Some of the plastic that surrounds the port has been torn off. I have attached photos of how it looks below.

Is there any way to fix this? Even in a... more ghetto fashion? I just want to be able to plug in devices into the port without having to wiggle the cord around or prop it up. Any help would be appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/2sqRuVG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FLLSgwr.jpg

Solution
You can fix this particular issue but it is not cost effective. It would cost hundreds to have someone solder in a new headphone jack. This would entail tearing the PC down, solder the new part, and put it back together. This kind of laptop repair is rarely practical.

If you situation, I would suggest purchasing a USB 2.0 stereo sound adapter. Its a little usb device that plugs directly into an available USB port on your machine and allows you to utilize headphones and a microphone. This will be the easiest, most cost effective way to repair your machine.

Let us know how it goes, or if you want to continue with the repair of the jack. I can help you find the parts and a reputable repair person to do it.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
You can fix this particular issue but it is not cost effective. It would cost hundreds to have someone solder in a new headphone jack. This would entail tearing the PC down, solder the new part, and put it back together. This kind of laptop repair is rarely practical.

If you situation, I would suggest purchasing a USB 2.0 stereo sound adapter. Its a little usb device that plugs directly into an available USB port on your machine and allows you to utilize headphones and a microphone. This will be the easiest, most cost effective way to repair your machine.

Let us know how it goes, or if you want to continue with the repair of the jack. I can help you find the parts and a reputable repair person to do it.

Solution

klzthe13th

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014

Thank you pcmagic,

I am knowledgeable with computer components and I could replace the headphone jack myself, but honestly I am too lazy to wait for a replacement part, open the laptop up, desolder the old one, and solder in a new one. I was looking at buying an external sound card, but this laptop only has 3 USB ports, and knowing my mother (the person I'm going to give this to) she will lose/forget about the adapter. Is there another way to fix it? Maybe use some plastic plaster or wood to even the edge? If not, I will most likely look at buying an external sound card. Thanks again!

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I think the adapter is going to be easier than anything else. Those toshiba laptops are a dime a dozen on criagslist. You may consider just going on there and finding a cheap laptop for her to use depending on what she needs it for. There are some laptops for $100 that will work for what she needs it for.

In terms of fixing this one, and idea I had. If you can take whatever plug youre using and wrap a rubberband around it, so one part goes through the other with the headphone jack in the middle of it, and let it tight on itself, you now have the rubber band looped around it tightly and it gets tighter the more you pull on the rubber band. You also have a look on the end as well. With this loop you can use it and a paperclip to hook it on to the edge of a fan grate on the bottom of the laptop. So, which the headphone jack plugged in, the rubberband taught and a paperclip acting as the hook from the band to the grate (to create tension,) you sould create towards pressure on the headphone jack, and enough pressure to hold it into place. Does this make sense?

I might be able to draw something, but Im not very artistic?

klzthe13th

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014

Hello Again,

Sorry for the reeeeeeally late reply. I got caught up with college finals and I barely have time to breathe lol. Anyways, I forgot that some of the external soundcards are literally usb sticks with ports in them. I thought most of them were boxes that you had to plug into the computer, kinda like an external speaker. I decided to buy this soundcard to use with my laptop. Thank you so much for your help, and sorry again for the late reply!