Toshiba Satellite Black Scree

LadyT12369

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I have a Toshiba Satellite Ultrabook and when I turn it on, the screen is black. All power is on. I need my files off the Toshiba hard drive. Can I take it out and put it into my HP laptop just to get my files off?

Solution

Try this first if available. It's going to be either the monitor or the display adapter that's at fault (based on your description).

If you can't hook it up to an external - or if an external doesn't work either - then you can take the hard drive out and use a sATA to USB adapter to connect the laptop drive to another computer via USB. Then you should be able to access your data.

Try this first if available. It's going to be either the monitor or the display adapter that's at fault (based on your description).

If you can't hook it up to an external - or if an external doesn't work either - then you can take the hard drive out and use a sATA to USB adapter to connect the laptop drive to another computer via USB. Then you should be able to access your data.

Solution

LAW52

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
So, in a similar vein, if my Toshiba Satellite won't boot and us considered dead, can I take that hard drive to another laptop and have all my data and programs in tact? Can't I save some bucks getting a shirt of "empty" laptop, since it's the system board that appears "fried"?

You can't insert a drive with an existing Windows installation from one computer into another system and run off it, unless both systems are identical. Your data should be intact, though, so you could use the adapter to connect it to another system and access it as a mass storage device.

LAW52

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
You can't insert a drive with an existing Windows installation from one computer into another system and run off it, unless both systems are identical. Your data should be intact, though, so you could use the adapter to connect it to another system and access it as a mass storage device.[/quotemsg]

I did get the external enclosure and it runs on the new computer but, am I missing something or is there no way to use the external hard drive as THE hard drive? I have MS Office on the old one and would like to use that. I can access all my data, but would like to use all the old programs.