Toshiba Satellite C55t-B5230 dropped laptop, screen broken, hooked to external monitor, but it kicked the external off and I c

calijohnson1977

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Toshiba Satellite C55t-B5230
Windows 8.1
Touch-screen

I dropped my laptop about a year ago. Upon turning it on after dropping it, the screen initially went black. My boss did a hard reset. Removed the battery, replaced and powered it back on. It worked, and screen has been working great since then.
About 3 months ago, I powered it up, and it black screened. Hard reset did not work this time. (I believe it may have a short caused by it being dropped, as it has come up a few times since but no longer comes on.) So, I hooked an external monitor to it using an HDMI cable. This had worked, but last week I was trying to adjust my external display and accidently clicked the "automatically use screen 1", the laptop screen that I cannot bring up. Have tried all the "Function + f keys, the window and f keys nothing has worked to override it. Help!!!
Any suggestions? Cannot afford to replace the screen, and I need it for my job searches.
Thank you!

Solution
If the hotkey function keys do not work, you are probably stuck. Try turning on the system then quickly closing the lid, the laptop should pickup the external monitor as the main display. Not sure if this will work with HDMI, I always have done with with a VGA connection only.
If the hotkey function keys do not work, you are probably stuck. Try turning on the system then quickly closing the lid, the laptop should pickup the external monitor as the main display. Not sure if this will work with HDMI, I always have done with with a VGA connection only.

Solution