Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5315 Laptop won't stay on

maa_mla

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
I have a Toshiba satellite C855D-S5315 it has a broken screen so I use a external monitor. There is a password on it (I keep trying to figure out how to get the Windows password to no longer be required but haven't yet). Sometimes it says the password is incorrect when you type the first letter of the password (without even giving you the chance to enter the rest of the password and the enter button). It did this two days ago (usually just restarting it will fix the issue... it did not work this time) so I ended up having to turn the computer off and then I tried to start it back up. Now all it will do is give me a black and white screen (the monitor is broken as I said before so it may have more on it but it is not showing up on the external monitor). It stays on for just a minute and then turns off unless I click on a couple of keys (any keys) then it will stay on but it will still not display on the external monitor. HELP please. This is my personal computer that I use for work and I cannot loose it or replace it.

Solution
Well while the monitor could be going (the external one) and need to be replaced as well, the 'password' can't be coming from the monitor. It has to be coming from the laptop. So you need to be checking the settings on the laptop.

You may well need to just go and replace the original laptop screen to make this all work correctly. But all information that would show on the original monitor would also show on the external one. Just being external would not make things not be there.

Have you tried plugging in a different external one (maybe borrow one to test with) and see if it works? If it does, then the external one you have is the problem. If it doesn't, then there is more wrong with the laptop than just the monitor and it is going...
Well while the monitor could be going (the external one) and need to be replaced as well, the 'password' can't be coming from the monitor. It has to be coming from the laptop. So you need to be checking the settings on the laptop.

You may well need to just go and replace the original laptop screen to make this all work correctly. But all information that would show on the original monitor would also show on the external one. Just being external would not make things not be there.

Have you tried plugging in a different external one (maybe borrow one to test with) and see if it works? If it does, then the external one you have is the problem. If it doesn't, then there is more wrong with the laptop than just the monitor and it is going to really need to be looked at. If you are comfortable doing that yourself, you can find tons of how to videos online. If you are not, then I suggest taking it to a local tech or repair shop.

NOTE: If the laptop is still under warranty, you should contact the manufacturer first, before anyone tampers with it. SO you don't void the warranty.

Solution