Toshiba Satellite fan?

NTW81

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
I was sitting in class this morning with my laptop out and powered on. I was listening to the lecture when suddenly i heard it click off. The light that indicates it is plugged into an outlet was on. I pressed the power button and the power light flicks on for a split second but the laptop does nothing. There was a burnt odor coming from the laptop. I opened it up later and i don't see anything wrong. I can still smell the burnt odor on the fan but no where else. Is it possible that the fan burnt out and the laptop won't start as a safe guard? Please help! Thanks!

Solution
It should start even if the fan is burnt out. It will turn off when the cpu reaches a certain dangerous temperature to protect itself from burning out completely. I would only replace the fan if the laptop turns on and POSTs even if for a seconds because this will show that not more damage has been done. If it still lights up but goes no further then odds are you have blown your processor

car1jones

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
It should start even if the fan is burnt out. It will turn off when the cpu reaches a certain dangerous temperature to protect itself from burning out completely. I would only replace the fan if the laptop turns on and POSTs even if for a seconds because this will show that not more damage has been done. If it still lights up but goes no further then odds are you have blown your processor

Solution

NTW81

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014

I was afraid it was the cpu or mobo.. thanks for the quick reply!