Toshiba Satellite keyboard and touchpad don't work

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst009

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

Strange problem, I wonder if any of you have come across this. I've got a friend with a Toshiba L305D-S5934. Occasionally the touchpad and keyboard become completely inoperable while the laptop is in use (a USB mouse will work, however). Oddly enough though, if you let the laptop hibernate, after it "thaws" the keyboard works again.

Laptop has been restored to a previous save, no dice. Device drivers have been replaced and reinstalled, registry has been cleaned... I'm stumped and looking to avoid completely reinstalling Vista.

Thoughts?

Solution
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

bruce9

Estimable
May 25, 2015
Hi bubbletea. I followed the directions for system restore on http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads-Knowledge/The-touchpad-does-not-work-properly/ta-p/422287.

Whispering Sloth

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Sir,

Thanks your advice, works like a charm!

:bounce:

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Mere system restore is bad idea, because automatic update automatically updates drivers again on next laptop turnoff. The only steady way to fix this crash in this time is edit the registry keys, as I wrote above.

bruce9

Estimable
May 25, 2015

Thanks Sir, you're right about the restore! Given that changing the filters in the registry unfortunately didn't work in my case, what would you recommend?

SSTONE

Estimable
May 25, 2015

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SIR OPONENT!! I have spent 2 solid days racking my brain for the fix and this FINALLY resolved the problem!! There is a special place in heaven for you!!

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Aah, sorry, I read Your post careless. So You have already installed all problematic updates and now Your keyboard and tuchpad don't respond, ok? And Your registry have both of referred keys, ok? And You edited both of keys, ok? And kb and touchpad still don't respond, ok?
Please tell us all exceptions, that occurred (if). Was there something different of manual?

bubbletea

Estimable
May 25, 2015

now the sounds won't work too......may i know how to reboot my computer??plus i don't have my windows cd so is it gonna be a problem??thanks in advance, sorry for keep asking you guys because im too afraid to try on system restore etc

Zoesquid

Estimable
May 26, 2015

Worked a treat! Thanks so much!!!!

bruce9

Estimable
May 25, 2015
now the sounds won't work too......may i know how to reboot my computer??plus i don't have my windows cd so is it gonna be a problem??thanks in advance, sorry for keep asking you guys because im too afraid to try on system restore etc
[/quotemsg]

Hi, Bubbletea. Rebooting is simply turning your computer off (shutting it down), then on. You might want to try researching on the Toshiba website for your problems, too. I don't know any more about the keyboard and touchpad than what I've posted, and I know nothing about the sound problem, sorry.

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015
"Clear" system restore and let Win-updates install ELAN Touchpad driver is necessary condition for registry edit (above). Don't be afraid to system restore, You can't lost any documents. Then run windows automatic update and check if ELAN touchpad driver was installed (Control panel>Programs). Then restart your laptop and then edit the registry using manual above and restart laptop again. No other way I can help.

pjbanchuin

Estimable
May 26, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite E45t-A4300 laptop and had keyboard and touchpad problems identical to everyone else after the recent system update. I called Toshiba customer support which provided no help so I did some Googling and ended up doing a system restore to before the update. That fixed my keyboard problem but now my laptop is having an array of troubling issues. First of all, Chrome will not open by clicking on the icon, but it will open if I right click and select 'New window'. Secondly, and most troubling, is that no Microsoft Office applications will open. Also, my F keys only work if I press the Fn key while pressing them now. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how I can fix this? Classes start tomorrow for me and this is very concerning.

pipilbreve

Estimable
May 26, 2015
This is the only one that solved. SOLVED

quite easy to do.

Golgothus

Estimable
May 26, 2015

You're a boss! Thanks for posting this, a co-worker of mine was having this issue today on her laptop, a satellite E55-A5114 and I was able to diagnose it was a driver issue, but had no luck in being able to un-install them and didn't want to mess with the Registry because I was unsure of the absolute path, I'll give this a shot and see if I'm able to have any success.

I'm curious as to what caused these issues, I saw that there was a Windows Update, but I'm unsure if that would have anything to do with causing driver corruption XD

everywherelike

Estimable
May 27, 2015

Never know how you guys figure these things out but I am sure glad you do. Had two laptops go down this morning with the same issue, fixed them both with this. Thank you!!

Weltlaterne

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Hi there! Always nice to see other people with the same problem.... (((-: )-:
-- Have Toshiba , updates on 20.05., than KEyboard & Touchpad gone. What lots of people seem to have --

Sir_Oponents manual reads promising, but can anyone explain this a bit deeper? Might be becaus I am not native English, but I simply dont understand really what to do --- what means CLICK OUT -(?) Ideally I would ask for how it looks before and into what it has to been changed --- ?

jaspalgills

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Hello Sir_Oponent, I used your fix. it works great. thanks for that.
I ran into another problem after using this fix. All the computer I have used it on have sound missing. It says there is no sound device. I have tried to uninstall, install and re-install toshiba recommended drivers, still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Jaspal

May 28, 2015
Hello Guys please use this solution as I have tested it already,
1.connect usb mouse on laptop
2.start laptop on recovery mode-F12 ON TOSHIBA
3.select Restore
4.select a restore point before elan driver installation
5.when restore finishes login into windows
6.check for updates
7.hide update for elan driver
8.restart your laptop
Now you will never have this problem again
****THIS SOLUTION WILL NOT WORK AFTER YOU REFRESH YOU LAPTOP****
*if you refresh your pc please use the method with registry edit*

joriano

Estimable
May 28, 2015

I did that and now even my wireless mouse is not working:( what can I do?

John Caron

Estimable
May 28, 2015
thanks, that worked for Satellite E55-A5114 with windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.