Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 LCD screen is completely blank & quit wo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hello! I am trying to repair an issue on a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 Laptop.
A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new hard drive, and installed Windows Vista on my cousin’s laptop listed above. He said it was running perfectly fine until 3 days ago, when he turned this computer on. It wouldn't show anything on the LCD screen at all. You can hear the fan going, but you can see nothing on the screen. I tried to pull this laptop up on an external screen, and still no screen at all. I can hear the fan, and that's it. I'm not even sure if the hard drive is even booting up. I also have checked the video cable to make sure it was plugged in correctly, and it was. I have removed the battery to see if that was the problem, and it wasn't. I also took out the hard drive to see if it was the problem and it wasn't...and took out the memory...nothing...i did all the testing and removing of all parts one by one, but still I can't figure this one out!!
Can anyone point me in some direction as to what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me in the right direction....:D

toptiercomputerservices

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hello! I am trying to repair an issue on a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 Laptop.
A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new hard drive, and installed Windows Vista on my cousin’s laptop listed above. He said it was running perfectly fine until 3 days ago, when he turned this computer on. It wouldn't show anything on the LCD screen at all. You can hear the fan going, but you can see nothing on the screen. I tried to pull this laptop up on an external screen, and still no screen at all. I can hear the fan, and that's it. I'm not even sure if the hard drive is even booting up. I also have checked the video cable to make sure it was plugged in correctly, and it was. I have removed the battery to see if that was the problem, and it wasn't. I also took out the hard drive to see if it was the problem and it wasn't...and took out the memory...nothing...i did all the testing and removing of all parts one by one, but still I can't figure this one out!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me in the right direction....:D[/quotemsg]

Hey all. I have a Toshiba L305d-s5934 and have the same problem. Unfortunately I didn't check to see if I could boot using an external monitor before I ordered a new motherboard. In any case, I installed the new mobo with the same issue. I can see the screen if I connect an external monitor leading me to believe that it is the LCD. I have looked over other sites that suggested you check the video connection to the motherboard to see if it has come loose.

I am going to buy a replacement lcd and go from there. But in the meantime I would see if you can see video on an external device to determine if it is the motherboard or lcd.

Link to video to show disassembly is here: http://youtu.be/G2AcFvd9qjc

Hope this helps someone.

andrewmsprague

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
My girlfriend's computer is doing the same thing. I tried the 30 seconds with no power thing, but to no avail. When I press the power button, the light comes on, but there's no HDD activity at all. I hear the cd drive actuate, and the fans come on. The hard drive is even spinning, but the access light doesn't turn on at all.

abugh16

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hello ................
I am very grateful for your contribution and i have face more problem which is not only one or two.i have Toshiba satellite A200'L300,L305,A205 and all of them are AMD processor and you switch on it you see that the power is on but the screen do not display and i have been facing this problem which i never had the solution so i need your support for this problem.
Please this is my E-mail Address if only you help me to send this (raswounded@hotmail.com)
thank you

robert pitre

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Amyc57, i had the same thing ,i had to change my hard drive and i to get the recovery disc from tobshia, i ran the recovery discs in it not the windows.I selected the tobshia recovery and just follow the instructions on the screen and i been running and don't have any problems. remember once you do this you must bring windows up to date.

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice however i've already done that, and still no anything. It's just dead! I imagine it was the motherboard, but my client didn't want to spend that much on a new mobo since we had already changed so much, so we are selling it as is on ebay then I'm building him a new one.

bbrewer

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I am having about teh same problem. Mine shows a screen just for a split second then it is gone. I have also noticed that if I shine a flashlight on my screen, then I can see the info that is there only part of the time. If anyone has suggestions I would love to know. I dont want to put money into this one that I could put towards a new one.

faraz631

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
[uotemsg=253787,1,623069]Hello! I am trying to repair an issue on a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 Laptop.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me in the right direction....:D[/quotemsg]

I had the same problem, after a long research i fixed the problem. This is a NVIDIA VIDEO CARD issue, computer heats up and video card stops working.
Question How to fix this issue?
Answer: You have to disassemble the computer completely and take the motherboard out. Open the fan assembly. Under that you will see NVIDIA video chipset. Now you need a Heating torch. And torch the video card only in circles for 30 seconds. Your computer should have the video. (SOLVED)
WE JUST FIXED THIS COMPUTER. THANK YOU.
By: American GEEKS
www.american-geeks.com

stackableg

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thank you. The 30 sec. power button trick worked for me.

Mike Walker

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
ok i am having the same problem. I have worked on alot of laptops and have exp.So i switched mobos.Still no video. I put in 2 diff brand new mobo`s. Chances they are both bad is slim. I have the same problem with all 3 now. SO my next step is a new processor. Unfortunatly its a customers so i cant just order one.I have seen alot of problems with all of the toshiba satalite lines of laptops. I will kepp u [psted. I know htis is a old thread but maybe I can help some one else some day

zercath

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
hello,had same problem,laptop with black screen out of the blue,tore the laptop to its bare bones tested piece by piece ram hdd wireless card screen keyboard ,had upgraded the processor so had the original tried it and same problem,got a mobo from ebay used same problem,thinking chances of that mobo having same problem is rare ,different ac adapter and same,after digging around for days someone said may be graphics card to hit it with a heat gun,tried that and got it to work for a few weeks ,problem is back , but have discovered that its a hit and miss deal,i can turn it on and off until it decides to work takes about no more than 20 tries and have been able to get it on sooner or later that way for this week,but giving up and moving on to another laptop,let me know if u find out the problem was something else and i just got lucky with the gpu heat gun deal,hope this helps and saves you some cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS