Jakeusson

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
So I have I have my computer search narrowed down to 2 options. The HP Envy and the Toshiba Satellite. If any of you have opinions on which would be the better buy, please share. Here are some specs and details for each:

The HP Envy has a
Dual Core Intel Core i5-4210M processor (2.6 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo-Boost up to 3.2GHz
16GB of RAM
integrated graphics
1TB 5400rpm hard drive
a 15.6" 1080p LED backlit touchscreen
4 "Superspeed" USB 3.0 slots
Beats Audio
a backlit keyboard
802.11 AC WLAN and Bluetooth + Wireless Display Support (I guess it's supposed to be significantly faster than regular wifi)
Windows 10

The Toshiba has a
Quad Core Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Processor (2.5 GHz, 6MB Cache
16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
Integrated Graphics
1TB (5400 RPM, Serial ATA) hard drive
a 15.6" 1080 LED backlit touchscreen
2 USB 3.0 slots, 1 USB 2.0
DTS sound with harmon/kardon stereo speakers
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 1x1 AC (433Mbps)
Windows 8

So the Envy I'd be buying manufacturer refurbished, while the Satellite would be bought "like new" with no box or manual from a (highly rated) wholesaler. With integrated graphics, the i7 on the toshiba looks a lot more attractive, but it's a toss up between the two for me so I was looking for extra opinions to bring in.

Solution
It depends on how reliable the refurbished laptop is. If it is reliable and you only do the basics then the i5 is more than enough. Only get i7s if you are a heavy multi tasker or do things which are cpu intense.
Hi,

I would go for the Toshiba laptop. If your into multi tasking or if you're going to use it for school or work that's the best way to go. i7 is way powerful compare to i5 it's like having more man power with i7 which is more people working all at the same time. As you mentioned as we'll that the Envy laptop was refurbished and compare to Toshiba were it's almost brand new.