toshiba satellite S55-A5167 "no media present"

galaxxguy

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
Part #: PSKK6U-0D608T

Ive been having so many problems with my laptop, originally it first started up and in the middle of the startup it flashed a blue screen with a smiley emoji on it and went to a black screen and stayed. I ended up getting into the cmd prompt and fiddled with some things after reading some forums awhile back and thinking i fixed the issue i restarted it and then it went to a black screen saying no media present select proper boot device and press any key. So i ended up taking out the hdd and putting it in this adapter i bought and plugged it into another laptop to see if i could access it, but i couldnt so i formated the hdd then put it back in the toshiba and tried to start it again inwhich it continued to say no media present. Im not sure what else to do and dont know what type of products to buy to fix it.

I have already tried changing the boot mode in the bios and secure boot. I have tried playing with boot option f12, and tried to boot while hitting 0, all of which multiple times to no success. I want to avoid sending it in and high priced repair shops.

Any help though would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi,

Inside BIOS try changing it to UEFI mode then see if you'll get pass that error message. Do also try to reset BIOS into it's default, just press F9 while you're in BIOS. Also do try to format the HDD using a Recovery Disc that you can order from Toshiba's support site. If all these will not work I would suggest to replace the HDD with a new one already.

Here's the link where you can order a recovery disc: https://support.toshiba.com/repair

Let's back up a bit, exactly what is this "fiddled with some things" at a command prompt that you did? It will of-course say there is no boot media after you wipe the drive, you need to get a Windows disk and install it again on the hard drive.

If you could not access it with an external enclosure that may mean the drive is bad, but that would depend on what you did in the command prompt window and what exactly you mean by not being able to access it. You can't even see the drive? Get some error message when trying to open it?

galaxxguy

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
So ive been able to download a recobery drive from my sisters compit and boot into it with my computer, but when i try to restart the computer fresh in the recovery optio it says i dont have the required partition, so i went into comand prompt again and typed diskpart, list disk, and shows the hdd as disk 0 and when i select disk 0 and list partitions it says there are none

You can't use a recovery disk from one system in another, unless they are the same model. And the recovery will be looking for an installed Windows setup to repair or for a restore partition to restore from. Since you formatted the disk, there will be none of that.

You need to boot the system, go into the BIOS and see if the hard drive is seen there. If it is, use the restore media that came with your laptop or a Windows OEM disk and try to install a clean version of Windows. If it keeps saying there is no drive or comes up with errors, try it with a different hard drive.