Toshiba Satellite trouble restoring

leonardotmnt

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I had to replace the hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite C55-C5240 after dropping the computer. The hard drive started clicking and the computer would no longer read it.

I have the restore files on a USB drive. I've tried pressing F12 when booting with the USB drive in the port and I'm able to select to boot from the USB drive. After this, however, I get a screen that asks me to select my Keyboard layout. I select USA and am taken to a blue screen where I'm given the option to Shut Down the computer or select things like Toshiba Maintenance, Refresh Computer, and Advanced Options.

From what I gathered earlier, after booting from the USB drive with restore files on it it should've started to restore from there. I chose the option to "Erase Hard Disk" on the blue screen to see if it will format it but is there something I'm doing wrong?

What option do I need to pick to use the USB drive to restore to factory settings? Thanks!

leonardotmnt

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Any ideas? If I can't get the restore to work am I able to just use a Windows 7 installation disk? Could I download the drivers after that? Or do I need a recovery disk no matter what?

The full options I get after pressing F12 and choose USA for keyboard layout are:

Troubleshoot
Turn Off Your PC

If I choose Troubleshoot I can choose:

Refresh your PC
Reset your PC
Toshiba Maintenance Utility
Advanced Options

Under Advanced Options is:

System Restore
System Image Recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt