Toshiba Satellite, unable to access BIOS or start computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR1129

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a rather serious problem with my laptop computer, a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5184 (running Windows 7), and after researching a lot of other threads, I am unsure about where to go because nothing that I've tried has fixed out yet!

Basically, two days ago my computer stopped loading any programs, and so I restarted it hoping that would fix my issue. Instead, I was stuck in an endless cycle of Toshiba Recovery Wizard, that I was stuck in for over 24 hours - I restarted my computer again after that. I tried restarting it normally, and originally I was unable to get past the Windows start up screen. I then tried to restart my computer in safe mode, but was unable to load the avgidsha. At this time, I was not able to start my computer in safe mode, but I was able to load my BIOS using f2, and was able to change where my computer mounted from using f12 (but I did not change anything).

After reading other threads, I thought that it was a problem with my AVG program, and thought it would be a simple fix. Using another computer (running Windows 8), I created a bootable USB Flash Drive using AVGs data. I had hoped to be able to easily enter BIOS, select boot from USB, and then easily fix my problem, but this is not the case, and so now I am reaching out to everyone for help!

In my attempts to mount my USB flash drive, I have done these things / have had these results:

1) Unable to access BIOS using f2 or f12. When I press these buttons, it goes into HD recovery mode, and sends me to the Windows Boot Manager, where I can either select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] or Windows Memory Diagnostics. It doesn't matter how many times, or how I press f2 or f12 - I am always sent to this screen.

2) I am unable to even access the Toshiba screen to select f2 or f12 unless I press 0 at the start.

3) If I press f8 while starting, I go to the Advanced Boot Options page. Originally, I wasn't able to load my computer with safe mode, because it always froze at the "avgidsha" command. Now, I can load safe mode, but I am then sent to a black screen with a cursor that has "safe mode" in all four corners, and "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 7601: Service Pack 1" across the top.

4) If I load my computer normally, I can make it through the Windows start screen, but then the screen just goes completely black except for a movable cursor.

5) I have taken the battery and charger out and held the power button for 60+ seconds, then plugged the charger back in, but nothing changes.

I am at a complete loss of what to do going forward, since everything I do sends me in a repeating circle. I have not tried to remount using the Windows 7 disk, because I don't have it. I'm trying to figure out how to mount it onto my USB, but again, I'm having difficulties forcing my computer to mount my USB, so I'm not sure how effective this will be.

Thank you for reading this long post, and any advice or suggestions you may have are definitely appreciated!

Update: Right before I finished writing this, a red screen popped up, while in safe mode, saying "Warning! When the recovery is executed, all data will be deleted and rewritten..." Now I am back in the Toshiba Recovery Wizard.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Download a Windows 7 disk image from the authorized online distributor (at no cost) from HERE and burn it to a DVD or make a USB installer stick using THIS TOOL and instructions.

Just be sure to download the same version that your authentication key is for -- usually you can find that on the Windows 7 sticker on your machine.

When it boots from the installer, select a custom install and erase all the existing partitions (which will erase all data), and install to the remaining single unpartitioned space. You will also need to download the drivers for your model from the manufacturer support site.

CR1129

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015

Great! Thank you, I'm working on this now. Is there anything I can do to save all of my data that I hadn't backed up, or is that a lost cause by this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.